Saturday, November 16, 2013

Black and White



One of the most difficult parts of marriage for me has been learning how to handle our differences.  Some days I feel like Paul and I are as different as black and white.  Had he and I taken a compatibility test before we met, we probably would have never gone on a first date.  God works in mysterious ways, doesn't He?   Perhaps he wanted to use our marriage to prove that, sure enough, ALL things are possible with His grace!  :)

So the other day I was interiorly making a litany of all the things Paul and I don't have in common.  I was getting quite depressed about my list, and then as if put there to prove my point about how irreconcilably different we are, I noticed our two coffee cups sitting side by side... 

His:  ink black
Mine:  creamy white

So I pointed this out to him and said, "Look, even our coffee shows how different we are!  How are we going to make our marriage work!?"

He immediately grabbed both cups of coffee and calmly dumped some of his into my cup, and some of mine into his cup, making a bit of a mess in the process, and then he set them down and said, "That's how." 


Darn it.  He was right again.  I guess I had assumed that when we became sacramentally "one" on our wedding day, that we would become like the same person and live "happily ever after" from that day forward.   Ha!  Little did I know that being "one" is a lifetime process of sacrificing for one another, patiently putting up with our differences, and forgiving the spills and sinful messes that happen along the way.   Maybe our marriage is not as "happily ever after" as I had hoped it would be, but it's a whole lot "holier ever after," and that's all that matters in the end.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Maria,

    I have finally caught up with your blog. I especially loved this post. Paul was amazing with the coffee. This fall I have been struggling in my marriage for many reasons. We all wish for a happily ever after (HEA) like the books and movies sell us on. Unfortunately, nothing is said about the tough times. God didn't promise us HEA here on earth. Just keep in your heart that HEA is when we catch up with our spouses in heaven. Blessings my friend, Lisa

    ReplyDelete