Sunday, March 1, 2015

Gratitude Lifts the Clouds


Like I alluded to in my last post, it's been a long winter figuratively for me.  I had great hopes that the new supplements I started taking a few months ago (progesterone, 5HTP, Methytetrahydolfolate, Vitamin D3, and lavender oil) would dramatically help my anxiety and depression symptoms, but I have not noticed a significant change. I'll give these supplements a few more months, and then try something new perhaps.  But I have found one thing that truly does lift the clouds a bit, and that is GRATITUDE.  Training my heart to be thankful in all circumstances and to look for all the little gifts of love that God sends me daily truly brings joy and peace to my soul.  I still have lots of training to do though, because I habitually forget to give thanks and then find myself lost in the clouds again.  So, this Lent, I am trying to recommit myself to Ann Voskamp's 1000 gift idea...forcing myself to write down a list of all the things I am thankful for each day.  So here I go again:


  • my biggest boy playing with my littlest, and both of them loving it
  • Nathanael with goggles on in the bathtub
  • the way Isaiah says "ma-ma" 1000+ times a day---how I love that little voice
  • for the manna God gives me daily in so many ways 
  • a 4WD SUV for driving in Montana snow
  • a book that sets my heart on fire for Christ:  "Devotion to the Sacred Heart"
  • sleep
  • sweetly interrupted sleep by my baby boy who just wants to be held a moment
  • Isaiah dancing to Joseph's violin ditties
  • being needed by a little boy with bad dreams
  • hiding in the Sacred Heart
  • laughing while cleaning with my big boys
  • big boys who still want me to snuggle and bless them at bedtime
  • a smile from an unexpected acquaintance
  • Kids-Eat-Free at IHOP
  • evening prayers with 5 boys on our bed, with Isaiah taking turns tackling each of us
  • Pizza Hut for supper--a day off from my nemesis (cooking)
  • playing Legos with Lego-lover Natey
  • protection during a big car accident on my way to the ski hill---for guard rails, guardian angels, and God-sent helpers (a lady named TJ) to pull me out of the ditch
  • alone-time in the ski lodge...and snacking on cheesy fries
  • catching up on photo albums
  • snuggling with my very sick baby; not even minding all the puke and poop
  • gluten-free pizza a Dominos
  • watching an old black and white movie with the boys:  "The Song of Bernadette"
  • Sleepy-time Tea
  • going to Trinity adoration chapel on Thursdays as a family:  the best family tradition ever
  • Nathanael singing "Jesus I Adore You" as he gazes at Jesus in the tabernacle
  • Qdoba on Sundays after church
  • a patient husband, willing to start over and over and over again with me as I learn how to love
  • my spiritual director who affirms my soul and gives me hope to keep trying
  • veiling at Mass for Jesus, falling more in love with Him despite the embarrassment that I feel




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment