I just can't wrap my mind around what's happening in the Middle East--the mass-killings of Christians by the evil terrorists who call themselves ISIS. I admit that I have lived a sheltered life, constantly surrounded by loving, Christian people. I also admit that I don't follow current events very well because our family doesn't watch TV and I don't take the time to read the news. So when I read on Ann Voskamp's blog about the 21 men killed for being
"the People of the Cross," who had their heads chopped off for
"carrying the cross illusion in their heads," I almost didn't believe her at first. How could this be? But the reality of it was staring me in the face...the picture of those brave about-to-be martyrs wearing bright orange coveralls.
How can such evil exist and what should we as "people of the cross" do to fight it?? Why are Christians in the Middle East being killed for carrying the cross
in their heads, when I am able to be proud of my faith and literally wear a cross of ashes
on my head to prove it? Those modern-day martyrs inspire me not to take my faith for granted--to wear the cross not only on my head, but to cherish it in my heart so that I may have the courage to forfeit my life for my beliefs if terrorists come to accuse me of being one of "the people of the cross."
 |
| (A very old photo of Paul and me on Ash Wednesday--just to make you smile in the middle of such heavy thoughts) :} |
On a slightly different note, I have to admit it that I'm actually looking forward to Lent this year. Perhaps the fact that there are Christians in the Middle East being martyred for their faith makes me eager to live my faith better. In comparison to martyrdom, praying, fasting, and almsgiving has never sounded so easy! But to be honest, the other reason I am eager for Lent is because it has been a looonnnng winter for me emotionally and spiritually, and it seems like God continues to point my soul towards the truth that suffering has merit, that even long Winters will eventually melt into Spring. I am praying for Jesus to walk with me through these next 40 days and reveal more of Himself to me. I am praying for the grace to take the focus off of myself and focus instead on Jesus' suffering which proves His infinite love for us...which points our hearts towards hope. That's what I need to sink into this wintery heart of mine this Lent...the warmth of God's love, and the healing that comes from hope.

I am praying that each of you has a fruitful Lent too! When Lent gets long, just remember how much Christ suffered for us and that the Resurrection and Springtime are just around the corner!
No comments:
Post a Comment