Wednesday, March 11, 2015

more gratitude, with pen and pixels


Today I stumbled upon a quote that stopped me in my tracks...

"GRATITUDE turns what we have into enough.

So, once again I open my notebook and force my pen and my heart to be grateful:
  • milk and honey bubble baths
  • a trip to the nature museum and seeing a real-live great-horned owl up close
  • Isaiah's vocab explosion and the way he pronounces Michael's name: "Goggle"
  • a nap under our new, warm comforter with my cat cuddling under the covers next to me
  • Natey calling me "beautiful"
  • my hobbit-like son playing hobbit-like music on the piano
  • my faithful 4th day friends friends who love me despite me
  • nearly new dresses from a stylish friend
  • Dominic's new glasses--bold and fun, just like him
  • making up bedtime songs with my little boys
  • the freedom of giving away toys and clothes for Lent
  • listening to the Gospel reading on the couch with my husband each morning
  • learning more about the real St. Therese through the book:  Everything is Grace
  • opportunities for humility...painful but good
  • seeing who I really am:  a sinner in need of a Savior
  • the chaos and grace of bedtime prayers with 5 crazy boys
  • cute little bums in the bathtub
  • gazing at Isaiah's long eyelashes as I rock him to sleep
  • a movie that stretched my selfish heart:  The Dropbox
  • new rugs over new wood floors
  • the strong, unspoken bond of fellowship among my pro-life friends as we pray at Planned Parenthood
  • one car with a young couple who came to Planned Parenthood, sat in their car for a long time and then left...a ray of hope that they changed their minds to choose life
  • coconut oil back rubs
  • 3 big boys doing homework at one little table
  • chocolate chip pancakes
  • watching my boys play football with their buddies
  • playing at parks again after a long, cold winter
  • boys having pine cone battles
Why do I ever try to cook fancy meals when all  my kids want are simple pancakes!?



How can I not be happy with this sweet face smiling at me all day!?




All of my boys have loved Legos, but my son Dominic as taken it up a notch.
He builds every spare moment and makes the most amazing creations.
Smart and creative this boy is.

Nathanael in the heat of a pine cone war, loaded with ammo and determined to win!


This sweet and crazy boy is such a joy and it is bittersweet to watch him get so big and independent.
Now that I have a teenager in the house, I know keenly that these little ones don't stay little for long, 
so I will just try to treasure and capture each precious moment.


We have had unseasonably warm weather this month, which has meant lots of playdates at the park with friends.  It brought my heart such joy to watch my older boys play with their best friends, and I'm glad I brought my camera along to capture their joy too!


Is this the little boy I held in my arms only 13 years ago?



Nothing brings Michael more joy than sports...can you tell?




After school homework time.  I love how these boys stick together.


Here is our hobbit-like son playing hobbit-like songs...
He is very passionate about playing all the songs from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, which is not surprising because he has read the books numerous times.  He can be found at the piano countless times a day, which delights his mother.  The funny thing is, he chose to do violin lessons instead of piano lessons this year, and yet he plays more piano than his brothers who should be practicing for their lessons!  He certainly is gifted in the music department, and I hope he can find a way to use his talents to bring glory to God.


Listening to my son play music reminds me that there is so much to be grateful for; 
there can always be music playing in our hearts if we keep our fingers moving over the keys.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment