Sunday, April 21, 2013

38 Weeks: Almost Go Time


38 weeks seems like a huge milestone for me.  This is the week that I have delivered 3 out of 4 of our children (all except Michael who came even earlier at 37).  Part of me wonders if this will be the week we will get to meet our newest son.  At my appointment last week I was 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated, so things are slowly starting to progress, which is a good sign.  However, another part of me hopes that this little guy will wait until he is full term because then he will be fully developed (and I will get to have a couple more weeks of relatively good sleep!)  Paul's mom arrives this week on Wednesday, so I pray this little guy waits at least until then to make his grand entrance.

I am so happy to have come this far with NO BEDREST and no major issues.  My platelet count is still low, but not dangerously low.  My number is at 118,000, and apparently if I go below 100,000 I will not have the option of getting an epidural because my body needs enough platelets to clot properly, otherwise bleeding could occur in my spinal column and the surrounding nerves, which would be bad.   So I guess the hospital will check my levels when I go into labor to see if they have dropped too low for me to even consider having an epidural.  My hope it to be able to delivery naturally with no drugs or epidural anyway, but it still would be nice to have the option---just in case---which is usually the case! :) 

As you can see in this photo, I am starting to feel HUGE.  The boys (and Paul) love to make me laugh because they think it's hilarious to watch my Santa Clause belly shake up and down :)  My belly is so big right now that my belly button is 2 inches off center, and new stretch marks seem to appear every day.  No more bikinis in my future--ha--as if I would ever be seen in one anyway!  :)  I am trying to treasure this time of being pregnant, because I wonder if I will get to experience it again.  Five children sounds complete to me right now, but perhaps God has a better plan.  I will try to remain open to His will and embrace each moment, each day, each child that I am given.  I am eager to introduce this precious child to the world soon...perhaps that will be my next post!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. You look fantastic for 38 weeks--all belly! Praying for a safe delivery, and healthy baby boy! Can't wait to see pictures! =)

    God bless,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second, Sonia! :) You look beautiful! And praying for a smooth labor and healthy and happy baby and mama! :)
    Keep us posted!
    Alicia :)

    ReplyDelete