Monday, April 15, 2013

Belated Birthday Boy

 
Oh my, we have another double-digit son in our house!  Our sweet Michael turned 10 on April 3rd, and we finally celebrated his big day this past weekend with a "Football Theme" party.  He invited all of his friends from school (and their dads) to play a game of football, followed by pizza, presents, cake, ice cream, and then a Nerf war in our house.  Talk about too much testosterone in one place...I was the only female and felt very outnumbered!  :)  That night I took a l-o-n-g bubble bath to recover from the event!  But I am thrilled that Michael had such a fun time with his friends doing what he loves best---sports.  I am also happy that the weather cooperated and that the weekend snowstorm waited to strike until after Michael's party was over.  The morning after his party we awoke to a snow-covered town with huge snowflakes falling all day long!  This is what the local folks call "Springtime in the Rockies."

Michael wanted to spend most of his birthday money this year on sports items, which was not too surprising :)  His favorite MLB team is the Detroit Tigers, so he bought a Detroit Tigers cap, a Detroit Tigers t-shirt with Cabrera's name on the back, a Detroit Tigers watch, a Detroit Tigers backpack, and also a fancy baseball net for practicing his throwing and catching skills.  Michael's little league baseball season begins this week, with his first game tonight, so he is a very happy boy right now :)  Michael is definitely the biggest sport's lover in our household. He likes baseball and football the best, but in reality he is so athletic that he is good at every sport and just loves playing anything that involves speed and competition and a ball. He is even content playing by himself in the backyard by throwing a baseball up in the air and then sacrificing his body to make diving catches over and over again. In the winter, he does this in our living room (and drives his mother crazy)! He just always wants to be moving and throwing and catching...it's in his blood, I guess. Sports are "his thing," and it has been neat as a parent to watch how it has helped him to grow in confidence as he has developed into such a great athlete. My prayer for him is that he will always use his athletic talents to glorify God and never allow sports to become "too" important.  I once heard the phrase that "Christian athelets are called to play for an audience of one--Jesus Christ."  I hope all my boys will follow that beautiful rule.


Michael's cool football cake (not-home-made, but ordered from a bakery with love)
Michael with his buddies and his brothers
An action photo of the football game.  I think the dads had just as much fun as the kids!
A couple of Michael's favorite presents---go Detroit Tigers!
Michael about to blow out the last candle.  He is probably making a birthday with to become a MLB player someday! :)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment