Thursday, August 13, 2009

Deep Thought Thursday #5

I just love wildflowers, especially ones that are truly growing wild on a mountainside. They make me want to run to the top of the mountain, twirl around and sing, "The hills are alive with the sound of music...laaa la la la...with songs they have sung for a thousand years...laaa la la la..." :) Although my wildflowers aren't on a mountainside, they still make me happy just to look at them (I spare the neighbors my rendition of Julia Andrew's "Sound of Music" though!) My boys also love the flowers because they seem to attract bugs of every variety which delights them to no end. Poor bugs.

Anyway, as I was looking at the wildflowers this morning, the deep thought occured to me that my soul is kind of like those wildflowers by our walkway. If you look closely at them, you'd notice not only bugs, but also weeds of every variety. I also never took the time to thin-out the flowers as they were growing, which has caused them to be not only weedy, but also a bit overgrown or shall we say too wild. My soul lately has felt a bit "too wild," tangled with weeds (sin) and overgrowth (selfishness). And so I am reminded of the beautiful Sacrament of Reconciliation and how much I need to receive it again (Pope John Paul II actually went to Reconciliation every day...so I'm way overdue!) So today I am thankful today for wildflowers that remind me of how beautiful my soul is intended to be when I allow the Great Gardener to shower me with His mercy and weed out the sin and selfishness in my soul.

Deep thoughts, by Wild About Wildflowers Maria :)

"Sing for joy, O heavens, break forth into singing, O earth!
For the Lord has comforted his people and will have mercy on his afflicted."
Isaiah 49:13

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of St. Therese's musings on flowers and how not everyone is called to be a beautiful rose, some of us are just little flowers; but Jesus loves His flowers regardless. :)

    ReplyDelete