So now that we know God has given us a son, we start the struggle of choosing the "perfect" name, as if there truly is such a thing, but as parents we put so much weight in that decision for some reason. Normally, Paul and I have chosen names for our children that are our favorite saints or Bible heroes. I love the names we have chosen thus far---except for one factor that I didn't take into account:
how the names could be shortened into "cool" nicknames as they grew up. I guess I just assumed my boys would love their full names like I do, that they would
insist that their friends use their full, birth-given, Christian names. But no. No. I have learned that once again my idealistic wishes don't always come true. My sweet and handsome Joseph has become "Joe." Joe! It's hard for me to even type that name! And my beautiful brown-eyed and feisty son Michael goes by the name of "Mike" everywhere except home. Well, actually, even Joseph calls him "Mike" at home, and at times I wonder who he is talking about....we don't have any "Mikes" in this house. "Mike" is my oldest brother in South Dakota, not my son in Montana. And then there's fun-loving Dominic. How could I have ever guessed he would become "Dom"??? "Nic" would have been bad enough, but no, he has adopted the nickname "Dom," and I'm embarrassed to say that I even catch myself calling him that. It just happened and it stuck. And last, but not least, our adorable Nathanael. Such a beautiful sounding name, but all of us started calling him "Natey" as soon as he was brought home from the hospital.
I know nicknames are cute and it's something that just happens. But it really does make me sad deep down that their saint names have disappeared from our tongues.
So...with baby #5, I am bound and determined to pick a holy saint or Bible name that CAN....NOT....BE.....SHORTENED. Period. I know you probably think I'm crazy, but for some crazy reason this is important to me, and I need YOUR help. There just are not very many good-sounding, strong saint names that can't be shortened. Here's the list I have come up with so far, but please help me add to this list if you can think of more. So far, none of the names have captured my heart or my husband's, so we need brainstorming help before this little guy is born (which I'm paranoid might be soon because I'm already having tons of Braxton Hicks contractions! Yikes!)
So here's our list, but please send more "unshortenable" names in the comment box below if you can think of any:
Justin, Caleb, Isaiah, Luke, Levi, John
That's a great list! Trying to think here: Noah, Mark, James (?) Continued prayers for you all! I totally have baby fever:) Praying for more blessings...EVEN after a day like today with my girls:)
ReplyDeleteLove the names!! A few other names to add to the list: Adam, Pious, Leo, Elijah, Paul (a Paul Jr.??)
ReplyDeleteI so understand!!! I have a loothing for common names. Hum, I wonder if that had to do with four other people with my name just in my grade along. Anyway, I was crushed when Jerry wanted the name Michael for our first born son. Ugg!!! Going through old family history, we found his first ancestor in North America was Michel. Yay, an uncommon historical family name. I was determined to not let him be a Mike. Except for the football team and now at college, he has remained my Michel. Yay. Of course, we haven't had any problems with Clay and only Jerry calls Madelle, Maddie. Of all the names listed, I am partial to Noah and Levi.
ReplyDeleteHi Maria, I also love that list. Isaac and Jude would be two more that would be tough to shorten. I have a Leo - it is fun to relate the story to him and his sisters about St. Leo the Great getting Attila the Hun to turn around at the gates of Rome. Funny, allot of people asked me if our Leo's name was short of Leopold or Leonardo. Nope.
ReplyDelete