Sunday, November 25, 2012

St. Maria Faustina on the Mass

I am still slowly, prayerfully making my way through St. Maria Faustina's Diary.  It has been such a treasure to me, and I find myself constantly underlining passages and feeling convicted to improve the state of my soul.  How I long for St. Faustina's unshakable faith, her natural manner of daily conversing with Christ, her desire to save souls by offering her own suffering for their sake, and her profound love of the Mass.  How often do I take Mass for granted and simply go just for the sake of going?  How often am I more concerned about whether or not my kids are sitting still than the miracle taking place upon the altar?  How often do I feel like I have just survived a marathon by walking Nathanael to and from the back of the church, instead of feeling renewed by the Word of God and the Bread of Life?  Whereas, for St. Faustina, Mass was the absolute pinnacle of her day, she longed for it, she prepared for it, she made every effort to make it to Mass (daily!) even when she was dying of tuberculosis.  Jesus often appeared to St. Faustina during the Mass and shared consoling words and graces with her soul.  Perhaps if my soul were more in-tune with the miracle happening before my eyes, Jesus would send extra consolations and graces to my needy soul.  I think He is always waiting to pour His love and mercy into our hearts, but he has to wait for our hearts to be open to receive His gifts...and quite often we are just too distracted by earthly things or, quite frankly, lukewarm in our love of heavenly things.  Anyway, here is a passage I just underlined that highlights the importance of the Mass according to holy Faustina.  May it inspire you as it inspired me:

"Oh, what awesome mysteries take place during Mass!  With what great devotion should we listen to and take part in this death of Jesus.  One day we will know what God is doing for us in each Mass, and what sort of gift He is preparing in it for us.  Only His divine love could permit that such a gift be provided for us.  O Jesus, my Jesus, with what great pain is my soul pierced when I see this fountain of life gushing forth with such sweetness and power for each soul, while at the same time I see souls withering away and drying up through their own fault.  O Jesus, grant that the power of mercy embrace these souls."  (entry #914)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment