"It is not for the success of a work, but for the suffering, that I give reward."
(Jesus' words to Faustina, diary entry #90)
And here's a real failure story for you too, in case it helps you feel better to know you're not alone in your failures... :)
Last summer I was inspired with an idea for our school's Kindergarten auction project. I love to quilt, and my baby was going to be a Kindergartener, which meant I would have tons of free time to quilt since all of my kids would be in school. So I offered to make a quilt using the school uniform fabric and the cute faces of the Kindergarteners printed on photo fabric. I worked my buns off for 4 months, spending countless hours agonizing over every detail like a true perfectionist. I followed the directions to the tee regarding the photo fabric because I had never made a photo quilt before. I had fun but I was also very stressed out. I finally finished it. I washed it... And I ruined it. Yes, I ruined it in the wash. I didn't even use any detergent! The photo fabric was supposed to be "color-fast," but when I pulled it out of the wash the photos were faded and wrinkly. It looked horrible. There was nothing I could do. I had to accept the experience as a teachable moment, an opportunity for humility, and move on with plan B for the auction quickly. Thankfully, I was able to design and order an adorable fleece blanket from a company online using the cute Kindergartener's photos that I had taken, and it turned about beautifully! It was not as awesome as I had planned, it was not a hand-made quilt using the cute uniform fabric, but it was still beautiful and snuggly and made the family that bought it happy (I hope). And I trust that God had a reason for how things turned out, and that He used every ounce of my suffering for some good purpose. (I'm not sure if I'll ever try to make a photo quilt again though...or ever offer to make an auction project. There's only so much suffering that a perfectionist can take!) :} But all in all, it was a good experience for me. It stretched me and reminded me to say "Praise the Lord anyway!" when things don't turn out the way I had hoped. For His ways are always perfect, and He will use our failures and sufferings for great good, even though we might not see it or understand it right away.
Here's a photo of the quilt prior to me ruining it in the wash...
And here's a picture of the cute blanket that became the final auction project:
Here's a photo of the quilt prior to me ruining it in the wash...
And here's a picture of the cute blanket that became the final auction project:

No comments:
Post a Comment