St. Teresa of Calcutta, once said, "Before the birth of Jesus, His parents asked for a simple dwelling place, but there was none. If Mary and Joseph were looking for a home for Jesus, would they choose...your heart, and all it holds?"
So the question to ask ourselves as we begin this Advent season is how to make our hearts ready for Jesus's coming? I wish I had the answer, and I don't think there is one right answer, but rather many different ways that we can make more room in our hearts for Christ and declutter the things that distract us from Him and His will.
Today as our family decorates for Christmas, I am going to ponder that question and try to decide what traditions or devotions our family should do this Advent. I would truly love to hear some of your ideas, so please post them below!
Growing up we drew names. Secret. We were "Advent Angels". We would do good deeds for everyone especially the person we drew (made their lunch, sacrifices for them, sharing a special treat, doing/helping with their chore, etc). Then on Christmas Eve evening we would open a special gift from the person after guessing who had us. Also we would each would make our favorite Christmas cookies with Mom, so we would have a variety of cookies for our Christmas dessert (cookies with peppermint ice cream). Also we would celebrate Our Lady of Guadalupe Feast Day with a Mexican Feast. I can visit with you more about what we did/do.
ReplyDeleteLove to you all. Blessed Advent