The month of November is dedicated to the memory of the Holy Souls, and their feast day is today, (November 2nd.) Tradition holds that St. Gertrude the Great was told by Our Lord that the prayer below, when piously recited, would release 1,000 souls from purgatory. St. Gertrude the Great was a 13th century German nun, writer, and mystic who was graced with many heavenly visions, and it is recounted that Jesus showed her a vast number of souls entering heaven from purgatory as a result of her faithful recitation of this prayer.
I would like to try to memorize this prayer and include it in my daily prayers during November, but at the very least, I will pray it today and perhaps some of you would like to as well for your departed family members or friends.
“Eternal Father, I offer You the most precious blood of thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, for those in my own home and in my family. Amen.”

No comments:
Post a Comment