Male pumpkin flower
Female pumpkin flower
So I tried it this year. I admit, it was a little embarrassing at first--I may have even blushed. :} My husband thought it was hilarious as he watched me go out to the garden many-a-morning to help my pumpkin plants mate. Apparently, he thought it was so funny that he even caught it on camera. It was the only time I've seen him pick up my camera in 5 years! :) What a stinker.
Caught pollinating...
But, I do feel slightly vindicated now that I can see the fruits of my labor. We got 10 big, beautiful pumpkins this year! Some of them were still green when I had to bring them inside to avoid our early Montana frost, but even those have now turned orange. The kids and I had so much fun watching them grow all summer, and now we have our very own pumpkins to decorate our home and to turn into "Saint-O-Lanterns" in October.
Proof that hand-pollinating worked!
Aren't they pretty?
They make our living room look so Autumnish :)
Here's the cutest pumpkin of all! :)
HAPPY FALL!!!
We have use that same approach for pollinating tomatoes! Your pumpkins look great!! Happy Fall! =)
ReplyDelete