Sunday, July 14, 2013

who needs Disney World?


We just returned from a fun-filled vacation to South Dakota to visit our family.  Our kids reacquainted themselves with their cousins, we got spoiled by my mom's home-cooking, we spent lots of time at my brother Mike's house at the lake having fun in the sun, the older boys had a blast catching walleye with grandpa, I was blessed to spend some time with dear friends, and Paul and I were even able to steal away for a date night. We are realizing that now that we are a family of 7, it simply isn't feasible to take a summer vacation to places like Disney World, Hawaii, or Europe like some other families do.  But the more I think about it, the more I believe that spending time with family doing simple pleasures like fishing, swimming, and playing board games is more fulfilling, for we are creating memories and special relationships that will last a lifetime.  God is training my heart to be thankful for simple blessings rather than wishing my life away wanting things I can't have or things that would ultimately draw my heart away from the things that really matter: faith, family, and friendships.

So here's a plethora of pictures to give you an idea of the fun we had, fun that beats Disney World by far in my opinion:


All the cousins proudly showing off their trophies after their incredible piano recital performances.
 
 
Our boys at Storybook Land in Aberdeen, SD.
They are my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!
 
 
Our boys riding the train at Storybook Land with Grandma Theresa, Grandpa Pat, Uncle Jon, Aunt Debbie, and cousin Evan.
 
 
My parents who are still happily married, and they were so happy to have all of their kids and grand kids together for the 4th of July.  Next summer we will all be together again to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary!
 
 
Paul and I were able to spend some quality time together talking, relaxing, and reconnecting our hearts. 
 
 
I had fun using my new telephoto lens at the zoo at Storybook Land.
 
 
I love photography, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.  Someday I'd love to take a photography class so that I can improve my skills.
 
 
The kids playing games on the iPad with their cousin Evan during a moment of down-time.
 
 
Nathanael loved spending time with Grandma Theresa putting together puzzles,
and the older boys kept grandma very busy playing cards and board games.
 
 
 
One of the highlights for the older boys was a quick trip to Minneapolis to attend a Twins baseball game and to visit their Minnesota relatives (Grandma Jean, Grandpa Dick, Uncle Dann, Aunt Rachel, and cousins Rowan, Kennedy, and Hollis).
 
 
Dominic's favorite activity was swimming and catching frogs at Richmond Lake.
 
 
Michael's favorite activity was catching fish.  He rarely took a break from fishing to swim!
 
 
Joseph looking very cool with the carp he caught.
It's bittersweet to realize how old and mature he is becoming.
 
 
Nathanael thought he was a "cool-guy" riding the jet ski with daddy.
 
 
Joseph and Michael with C-R-A-Z-Y hair after their jet ski ride.
I am so blessed to have boys that love each other so much!
 
 
Nathanael and Grandpa Pat (on the blanket) loved taking their afternoon naps in the sun.
 
 
Nathanael wasn't too crazy about playing in the water, but he loved playing on the beach.
 
 
Uncle Steve, who is still a great slalom water-skier, teaching Joseph how to ski for the first time.
 
 
Nathanael looking like a little pyromaniac!
He loved the 4th of July fireworks!
 
 
Big brother Joseph helping Dominic shoot bottle rockets.
Not sure how safe this was, but it sure made for a beautiful shot.
 
 
Summer vacations in SD are AWESOME!
Who needs Disney World anyway?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment