Sunday, July 28, 2013

a prayer/poem

 

Sacred Heart of Jesus,
draw me nearer to Thee
my heart has grown cold
from bitterness set me free
through Your unquenchable flames
warm the chill, melt the numb
I know Your love is enough
all I need is to simply come
 
Sacred Heart of Jesus
in Your pierced wound heal me
for my heart has been broken
from neglect and vanity
with your burning love
consume my heart torn in two
replace it with Yours
that I may start anew


I know I am no great poet, but writing poetry is therapy for my soul, no matter how silly and amateur my words may be.  As you can tell in my rhyme, my heart has been a bit heavy lately.  It's the same old cross, but perhaps the baby blues and lack of sleep make it feel heavier than usual.  I'm praying for the grace to carry it with perseverance and joy, knowing that it can make me more like my suffering Savior and closer to His merciful heart.  I recently came across a quote from my favorite saint, Therese the Little Flower, which gave me great hope:  "Let us remain very remote from all that glitters.  Let us love our littleness; let us love to feel nothing.  Then we shall be poor in spirit, and Jesus will come seeking us, however far away we are.  He will transform us into flames of love!  Often we are saddened here by the very thing which will be the cause of our eternal happiness above." 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment