
This is the first year of having our own rhubarb plant in our garden (thanks to my friend Lisa), so I've been having fun experimenting with rhubarb recipes. I do not claim to be a great cook or a baker, but I stumbled upon this amazing rhubarb recipe that I felt was worth sharing.
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup butter (melted)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sour milk or butter milk
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (I put mine in the food processor to chop it very small, but I don't know if that matters)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp butter (softened)
Preheat oven to 325. Grease 2 8 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, butter, and egg. Add the vanilla and salt. Mix the soda with the sour milk and add to the egg mixture. Stir the flour into the wet ingredients just until combined. Fold in the rhubarb and nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Mix the granulated sugar and butter together and sprinkle over the loaves (this makes the top look really pretty, plus it tastes great too!). Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn the loaves out onto a rack.

No comments:
Post a Comment