Thursday, October 7, 2010

Reminiscing on the Rosary

Today is another beautiful feast day in the Catholic Church, the Feast of our Lady of the Rosary. I cannot adequately describe the influence the rosary has had on my faith because I don't know how to even describe my faith without including Our Lady's influence in helping it grow. I've been praying the rosary since I was a small child. I especially have fond memories praying it with my parents and my brothers on long road trips, and also praying it with my mother in her prayer room with a candle gently glowing at the table when one of our relatives was very ill. How comforting, how holy, how near the Holy Spirit felt during those times! The rosary has always brought me such peace when I lay my cares in my heavenly Mother's hands and trust that she will plead for our intentions as she places them at the feet of her Son, Jesus. During the darkest times in my life, when I simply could not see God's will or find words to pray, I could find consolation in the memorized words of the rosary, simply meditating on the life of Jesus while I felt Mary wrapping her loving mantle around me as I prayed the words that I knew by heart and didn't have to come up with words on my own. I also have sweet memories of praying the rosary in Medjugorje in St. James Church, surrounded by hundreds of other pilgrims who had come to be close to the miraculous apparitions occurring there. We all prayed the rosary as one family, in one voice, although our voices spoke a dozen different languages or more---yet somehow we were able to follow along in perfect time because the rosary has the same rhythm in every tongue. The most recent special memory of the rosary for me was praying it with my husband during our courtship. We would snuggle on the couch together to pray, and if neither of us had a set of rosary beads to pray with, we would sweetly use each other's 10 fingers to keep track of the Hail Mary's as we fell more in love with each other and with Jesus at the same time. During an apparition to Sister Mary of Agreda in the 17 century, Jesus told Sister Mary that "Just as he who knows Me knows the Father, so also he who knows My mother knows Me." So true in my life. Mary has constantly pointed me to her Son each time I pray the rosary, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Now I hope you won't mind if I go off on a little side tangent that is on my heart today... While I've been stuck in bed these past few weeks on bed rest, I have learned to love a variation of the traditional rosary that I recently discovered (even though it's been around for decades). It is called the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows and it focuses on Mary's sorrows during her life and helps you to unite your own suffering with her's and with Christ's. It has really helped me to find the meaning in my own suffering, and it reminds me of how much Jesus and Mary love us to have endured such suffering on our behalf. Here is a brief history of this beautiful rosary with the instructions for how to pray it. You may even want to copy it into a word document so that you can print it and use it during your prayer time. I hope it touches your soul like it has touched mine!

The Rosary of the Seven Sorrows

This rosary recalls the seven major sorrows that the Virgin Mary suffered through during the life, trials, and agonizing death of her Son, Jesus Christ. It's very special to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Mother, and she wants all of us to say it as often as possible, but especially on Tuesdays and Fridays. The Rosary of the Seven Sorrows dates back to the Middle Ages, but it is gaining popularity following the Marian apparitions in Kibeho, Rwanda approved by the Catholic Church in 2001. During Mary's apparitions to Marie-Claire Mukangango, she assigned the young visionary a mission to reintroduce this special rosary to the world. Before her untimely death, Marie-Claire did just that, traveling widely to teach it to thousands of people, who then taught it to thousands of others. During her visitations to Kibeho, the Holy Virgin revealed that this rosary possesses immense spiritual power for those who say it sincerely. She promised that when prayed with an open and repentant heart, the rosary would win us the Lord’s forgiveness for our sins and free our souls from guilt and remorse. She also promised that over time, the rosary would develop within us a deep understanding of why we sin, and that knowledge would give us the wisdom and strength to change or remove any internal flaws, weakness of character, or personality faults, causing unhappiness and keeping us from enjoying the joyous life God intended for us to live. The Blessed Mother also stressed that the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows is intended to complement—and in no way replace—the traditional rosary. Pray both rosaries regularly and you’ll be doubly blessed!


How to Pray the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows

Introductory Prayer
My God, I offer You this rosary for Your glory, so I may honor Your Holy Mother, the Blessed Virgin, so I can share and meditate upon her suffering. I humbly beg You to give me true repentance for all my sins. Give me wisdom and humility so that I may receive all the indulgences contained in this prayer.

Act of Contrition
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend You, my God, You Who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.

Pray 3 Hail Marys for the Tears of Mary

Before each Mystery, pray:

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

First Sorrowful Mystery: The Prophecy of Simeon
"And Simeon blessed the Lord and said: "Lord, now let thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word; for mine eyes have seen thy salvation which thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to thy people Israel." And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him; and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign of contradiction. And a sword will pierce through your own soul also, that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed." (Lk2:29-35)

"I console thee, O sorrowful Mother Mary, on account of the grief suffered by thy tender Immaculate Heart at the prophesy of the aged and holy Simeon. O dearest Mother, through thy afflicted heart implore for me the Virtue of Humility and the Gift of the Fear of the Lord."
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

Second Sorrowful Mystery: The Flight into Egypt
"An angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child to destroy him.' And he rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed to Egypt and remained there until the death of Herod. For the Lord had spoken by the prophet, 'Out of Egypt have I called my son.'" (Mt2:13-15)

I console thee, O sorrowful Mother Mary, on account of those distressing fears which thy affectionate heart endured on the flight to Egypt and during thy sojourn there. O dearest Mother, through this thy anxious heart, implore for me the Virtue of Generosity, particularly for the poor, and the Gift of Piety.
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

Third Sorrowful Mystery: The Loss of Jesus in the Temple
"Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the Passover. And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom; and when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it, but supposing him to be in the company they went a day's journey, and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances. When they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously." And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them. And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was obedient to them, and his mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man. (Lk2:41-52)

"I console thee, O Sorrowful Mother Mary, on the account of that anxiety which thy worried heart endured in the loss of thy beloved Child Jesus. O dearest Mother, through this thy exceedingly troubled Immaculate Heart, implore for me the Virtue of Chastity and the Gift of Knowledge."
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

Fourth Sorrowful Mystery: Mary Meets Jesus on the Way to Calvary
"And as they led him away, they seized one Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, and laid on him the cross, to carry it behind Jesus. And there followed him a great multitude of the people, and of women who bewailed and lamented him. But Jesus turning to them said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and your children.” (Lk23:26-28)

"I console thee, O sorrowful Mother Mary, on account of that horror with which thy motherly heart was stricken when meeting Jesus, bearing his cross. O dearest Mother, through this thy exceedingly oppressed Immaculate Heart, implore for me the Virtue of Patience and the Gift of Fortitude."
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

Fifth Sorrowful Mystery: Mary Stands at the Foot of the Cross
"And when they came to the place which is called The Skull, there they crucified him and the criminals, one on the right and one on the left. And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments. And the people stood by, watching; but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others, let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!" The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him vinegar, and saying, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" There was also an inscription over him, "This is the King of the Jews." It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, while the sun's light failed; and the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last. " (Lk23:33-38, 44-46)

"I console thee, O sorrowful Mother Mary, on account of that martyrdom which tortured thy magnanimous heart at the death and agony of thy Son, Jesus. O dearest Mother, through this thy martyred Immaculate Heart, implore for me the Virtue of Temperance and the Gift of Counsel."
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

Sixth Sorrowful Mystery: Mary Receives the Dead Body of Jesus
"But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. He who saw it has borne witness--his testimony is true, and he knows that he tells the truth--that you also may believe. For these things took place that the scripture might be fulfilled, 'Not a bone of him shall be broken.' And again another scripture says, "They shall look on him whom they have pierced. Now there was a man named Joseph from the town of Arimathea. He was a member of the council, a good and righteous man, who had not consented to their purpose and deed, and he was looking for the kingdom of God. This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then he took it down and wrapped it in a linen shroud." (Jn19:34-37;Lk23:50-53)

"I console thee, O sorrowful Mother Mary, on account of the anguish inflicted upon thy tender heart by the thrust of the lance that opened the side of thy Son, Jesus, and pierced His most adorable Heart. O dearest Mother, through this vicarious transfixion of thy own Immaculate Heart, implore for me the Virtue of Selfless Love and the Gift of Understanding."
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Most merciful mother, remind us always of the sorrows of your Son, Jesus!

Seventh Sorrowful Mystery: Jesus is Placed in the Tomb
"After this Joseph of Arimathea, who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus, and Pilate gave him leave. So he came and took away his body. Nicodemus also, who had at first come to him by night, came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds' weight. They took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen cloths with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb where no one had ever been laid. So because of the Jewish day of Preparation, as the tomb was close at hand, they laid Jesus there." (Jn19:38-42)

"I console thee, O Sorrowful Mother Mary, on account of that agony of soul which racked thy most loving heart at the burial of thy Son, Jesus. O dearest Mother, through this extreme torment that filled thy burdened Immaculate Heart, implore for me the Virtue of Zeal and the Gift of Wisdom."
(Pray 1 Our Father and 7 Hail Marys)

Closing Prayer:
Queen of Martyrs, your heart suffered so much. I beg you by the merits of the tears you shed in these terrible and sorrowful times, to obtain for me and the sinners of the world, the grace of complete sincerity and repentance. Beloved Mother, teach us to accept our sufferings and unite them with yours and your Son’s, to help atone for our sins and those of the whole world. Amen

Mary, who was conceived without sin and who suffered for us, pray for us. (3x)

Sources used: http://7sorrows.org/7sorrows.aspx, http://holyhillcross.com/TheSevenSorrows.htm

post signature

1 comment:

  1. The promises associated with the Rosary of the 7 Sorrows are a gift. :)

    ReplyDelete