
I am very blessed to be the Vigil Coordinator for our city's 40 Days for Life fall campaign, and this week we had a Candlelight Prayer Vigil at our local Planned Parenthood to mark the mid-way point of our campaign. It was bitter cold, but a very blessed evening. Young and old alike, of many different faiths, attended the prayerful event, and it was an evening filled with music, prayer, and hope that someday the tragedy of abortion will end in our country. For those of you unfamiliar with 40 Days for Life, it is a pro-life movement that is striving to peacefully end abortion one soul at a time through prayer, fasting, and being loving witnesses for life outside of abortion clinics. Since 40 Days for Life began in 2007, more than 1700 babies and their mothers have been spared from the pain of abortion (and those are just the ones we know about)!!! To learn more about his amazing campaign happening in over 212 cities across the globe, visit: http://www.40daysforlife.com/.This is the 3rd 40 Days for Life campaign we have held in our town, and each campaign we try with all our might to get the media to cover any of our events...always to no avail. I feel certain it is because the abortion issue is so contraversial and the liberal media simply doesn't want to cover conservative stories. I thought the media was supposed to be fair and balanced and cover any newsworthy events objectively??? So why is it that they will cover a gay pride parade, but not a pro-life prayer vigil??? I was so irritated by this discrepancy that I wrote a letter to the editor last night. I'll let you know if it gets published, although I highly doubt it will. Here's what I wrote:
I find myself frustrated that “politically incorrect” issues often do not get media coverage, so I feel compelled to highlight a local event apparently deemed “too sensitive” for the media to touch. The heartiest pro-lifers in Helena braved the bitter cold on October 12th to celebrate the half-way point in the “40 Days for Life” fall campaign. To me, the most touching part of the event was the 2000+ birthday candles that participants lit and blew out as they prayerfully circled Planned Parenthood. The birthday candles represented the number of babies in Montana not celebrating their first birthdays this year. The multitude of candles graphically gave a sense of the sad prevalence of abortion in our country, even here in Big Sky Country. How many birthday candles would it take to represent those babies nationwide who will not have birthdays this year? I truly believe that because of 40 Days for Life campaigns happening all over the nation, next year there will be far fewer birthday candles needed. As of day 22 of this fall campaign, there have been 251 confirmed reports of babies and their mothers being saved from the pain of abortion nationally. Now that seems newsworthy to me.

Preach it, sista!
ReplyDelete