Nary a week goes by when my boys don't enlighten me with some new piece of knowledge. Truth be told, they may be smarter than I am...but shhhhh, don't tell them that! This week they informed me that the Daddy Long Legs is NOT a spider! I told my boys that they didn't know what they were talking about. Then THEY told ME that the Daddy Long Legs can't be a spider because it has only one body segment rather than two, and only two eyes rather than eight. I still did not believe them, so I went online. Sure enough, they were right again. The Daddy Long Legs is truly not a spider, but simply another species in the arachnid family. Just as a butterfly is not a beetle, but they are both insects. I also learned (from the same website) that I had mistakenly told the boys months ago that the Daddy Long Legs is the most venomous spider in the world but thankfully its mouth is simply too small to bite a person. I thought I was so smart to reveal that amazing fact which I had learned when I was a kid. Turns out...it's an urban legend...completely false. Mommy is an idiot...but the kids haven't quite figured that out yet, so I'll try to continue the Einstein-act as long as they allow it. Probably won't be long.
No comments:
Post a Comment