Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sweet Conversation

Yesterday, I was playing upstairs with Dominic while Michael was quietly playing across the room by himself.

Out of the blue he asks, "Mommy, does everyone have to move away from their mommies someday?"

Surprised by the question, I relied, "Well, usually that's what happens when you become an adult...you move away from home and start a life of your own."

...a few minutes of silence...

"But, is it illegal to stay home with your mommy as an adult?" Michael asked.

Puzzled and amused, I replied, "No, honey, it's not illegal, and some people live with their parents even when they're adults."

...a few minutes of silence again...

"Were you sad when you left your mommy?" Michael asked.

"Yes," I replied, "a little bit, but I was also excited to go to college and get married someday...it was like a new adventure. But sometimes I got really homesick and I would call my mom and cry because I missed her."

"Did grandma cry too," Michael quickly asked.

"Sometimes." I replied. "I think she missed me too, but she was happy that I was growing up."

...more silence...

At this point, I could almost hear the wheels turning in his little brain, and I was dying to know what he was thinking, so I asked him, "Do you think you'll move away from home someday, or just live with mommy forever?"

"I'm not sure yet," was his wise reply.

"Well, I'm glad you'll get to live with me for many more years until you decide," I told him.

What a bittersweet conversation. I hope my boys always love me this much :)

1 comment: