This 4th of July can be summed up by the words FIREWORKS, FISH, and FAMILY FUN! We celebrated the holiday in our hometown of Aberdeen, SD, and had a fun-filled weekend with my parents, my brother Mike, his wife Shawna, their daughter Elizabeth, Paul's brother Dann, his wife Rachel, and their kids Rowan and Kennedy. Most of the weekend was spent at Richmond Lake where my brother's family lives. Our boys and all their cousins had a blast in the lake, especially on the jet ski, as well as outside the lake catching lots of fish. We ended the evening watching other people's expensive fireworks and lighting a few cheap sparklers of our own. As I reflect upon the weekend, I have an overwhelming sense of gratitude...gratitude for my beautiful family and all the joy I saw on their faces, gratitude for my life and all the blessings I have been given, and gratitude for my freedom and the soldiers who continue to defend it so bravely and sacrificially. Mixed with the gratitude, though, is a deep sadness because I fear that our country has turned away from its Christian heritage in so many ways (as in the acceptance of abortion, homosexuality, and contraception). So along with praising and thanking God for all that He has given me, I am also praying for His mercy on our nation and that America would return to it's Christian roots so that God will keep His hand of blessing upon us.
"For the sake of His sorrowful Passion,
have mercy on us and on the whole world."
(from the Chaplet of Divine Mercy taught to Sister Faustina by Jesus in 1933)

Dominic looking dangerous and delighted with his sparkler.
Joseph very proud of his catch.

Michael loved soaking up the sun on the slip-and-slide.

Paul and the boys with their new favorite toy.
Looks like FUN!
ReplyDelete