This reminds me of a story I heard awhile back about a professor who gave his students a pop quiz one day in class. There was a sheet of paper lying on each of their desks with one small black dot in the middle of the page. He told the students that their quiz was to describe with as much detail as possible what they observed on that piece of paper. So the students diligently began to write about this black dot--it's size, it's color, it's distance from each side of the page, hypotheses of how it got there, and so on. After handing in their quiz, the professor read each paper and said they all had failed. They failed because no one in the class had mentioned what else was on the paper besides the black dot. 99.9% of the paper was a brilliant white, and the class chose to only focus on the .1% of darkness. This story is an analogy of how many of us (myself especially) tend to focus on the one negative thing going on in our life, diligently obsessing over it to the point where we completely lose sight of the thousands of blessings in our life that would far out-way the one challenge that consumes our vision and steals our joy. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? For me, I've learned that one way to force myself to look beyond that one black dot is to pull out my camera. So, here are some of the things that currently make up the 99.9% of my life's "page" that remind me that I am loved, I am blessed, and that the tiny black dot cannot steal the joy that God desires for me unless I allow it to. Just as Scripture tells us to "Take up our cross and follow Christ," I'm learning I sometimes need to force myself to "take up my camera" which helps me to follow Christ and choose joy. May these pictures bring you some joy too! :)
Dominic having fun in the snow!
I love those two front teeth...I'm sure the orthodontist will like them too :)
Isaiah happy to be outside with his big brothers.
Dominic being tackled by his little--but tough--baby brother!
Natey waiting for a ride!
Joseph showing off his new skis.
His old ones broke when he crashed on a ski jump this winter...
We found out a few weeks later that he also broke some bones in his back! OUCH!
But did that stop him from building a ski jump across our driveway?
NOPE.
At least his dad was there to supervise though...
BOYS!
Michael also bought himself a new pair of skis once they went on sale.
After all, he couldn't be out-classed or out-skied by his older brother.
Our fireplace and new sitting room arrangement just make me happy.
This is probably my favorite place in the house.
It's where Paul and I pray together in the morning and lounge together in the evening.
We replaced our old pseudo-leather couches (which were flaking all over the place)
with these classy ones in our living room.
Michael (front row 3rd from the left) was installed as a "Senior Server" last weekend.
Such holy and handsome servers who are trained so well to have reverence for the Eucharist and the holy altar of the Lord!
Michael (3rd from the left) had been waiting and waiting to be asked to become a Senior Server, so he was SO happy it finally happened!
This was the 1st year Joseph's school did a boy's basketball team.
I was so proud of him for joining and doing his best, even though he'd never really played basketball before! He's already looking forward to next year's basketball season.
I love that these boys now have land to go explore and play in all year round!
Michael loves to give crazy sled rides to his brothers.
His brothers love it too until they crash and get hurt :}
Nathanael happy to get a ride!
What a blessing to have a sledding hill right out our front door!!!
And what a blessing to have all sorts of wildlife out our front door too!!!
We got to watch these bucks spar for probably an hour or more right out our back door!
I'm not sure if they were really sparing or just having fun together
See what I mean? I don't think they're really fighting.
I think they're buddies :)
There I go, personifying animals again.
A Red Crossbill.
These beauties with their crazy beaks seemed to stick around all winter--so fun to watch!
This adorable bunny was fun to watch all winter long. He lives right out our back door by the pond, and almost every morning he would come out to sun himself in this spot.
The boys got this for Christmas, and we have been having a blast watching an episode each night.
It's the complete set (seasons 1-7), so it should keep us entertained for awhile!
I remember watching these with my brother Jon growing up,
so it's special to me that my kids are liking them just like my brother and I did.
Every time the theme song comes on, it just makes me smile :)
Paul and I have been hosting a high school study called
"YOU: Life love and the Theology of the Body".
It is an AWESOME study that helps teens and their parents navigate some of the tough issues of our times (like chastity, pornography, contraception, homosexuality) from a solid Catholic perspective.
We feel so blessed to be part of this group and we sure hope it will help these teens share Christ's light and truth in this seemingly darkened world!
Lastly, I came across a great quote that I am trying to embrace this week to help me find peace and to take my eyes off the "black dots" on my page. Perhaps it will inspire you too and help you to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus, the Prince of Peace:
"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset."
St. Francis de Sales











No comments:
Post a Comment