Friday, November 14, 2014

To veil or not to veil?


I know it sounds crazy, and perhaps I really am crazy, but I bought a mantilla (commonly called a chapel veil) and I am prayerfully considering wearing it at Mass every Sunday.  There are a few women at our church who wear a veil, and every time I see them, something in my heart leaps because I think it looks so beautiful and holy and reverent in the Presence of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.  So I started doing research on the topic…and nearly every article that I read also made my heart leap and further convicted my mind that perhaps the Lord wants me to wear a veil too.  So then I ordered one online, and when it arrived this week, my heart leaped again as I pulled the soft ivory lace out of the box...  

I am so excited about veiling, but I’m crazy nervous about it.  

Why?  

Because I worry what people will think of me.  I worry that some will shake their head and think I’m being self-righteous and holier than thou…which is the opposite of what wearing a veil is all about!  Veiling is about humility and showing our awe and submission before God.  Veiling is not about drawing attention to ourselves.  It’s about drawing attention to JESUS, Who is "God-with-us" and so gracious to let us be in His Presence and receive Him into our bodies at Mass!  But how can it NOT draw attention to ourselves!?---it’s odd, it stands out, it's counter-cultural.  How I wish I could wear the veil and be invisible at the same time!   I wish I didn't care what people think.  I know I should only care what God thinks.  And right now, I think He wants me to veil to show my crazy-love for Him.  So, that is what I will do until He tells me otherwise.

Catholic women have been veiling for over 2000 years, so why does it sound so crazy now?  St. Paul strongly encouraged veiling in 1 Corinthians 11:1-17, and it is my understanding that it was the Jewish and Christian culture for women to veil during worship since the time of Jesus.  In my research I found that the 1917 Code of Canon Law included a requirement that women veil in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament:

Canon #1262:  "Men should attend Mass, either in church or outside church, with bare heads, unless approved local custom or special circumstances suggest otherwise; women, however, should have their heads veiled and should be modestly dressed, especially when they approach the table of the Lord."

This requirement was removed in 1983, and women quickly discarded the custom even though the church never discouraged the tradition--the church simply made it optional.  The more I read about it, the tradition of veiling sure sounds like a holy tradition--just like the tradition of receiving the Eucharist on the tongue, or praying the rosary, or lighting Advent candles.  I wish I had learned about veiling long ago, and I am praying that it leads me ever closer to Jesus who had such crazy love for me that He died for me.  The very least I can do is return my love for Him by doing something a bit crazy for Him. Veiling will be a way for me to show Him love and reverence, and I think that's worth being called crazy or anything else people may call me.  I made sure to ask my husband and my spiritual director about this crazy idea, and they both gave their "thumbs up"... So, here I go! Sunday will be my first day in a veil...  Would any of you like to mantilla with me?  :o)  Or if you already do, I’d love to hear about your journey!

If you’d like to read more about veiling, I highly recommend the website where I bought my beautiful veil:  www.veilsbylily.com.  In particular, I this article really touched my soul:  http://www.veilsbylily.com/jesus-swept-me-off-my-feet/


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment