Friday, March 7, 2014

Spring Break in the Clouds

For Spring Break this year we decided to visit a new ski hill.  We chose the beautiful Whitefish Ski Resort in Whitefish, MT.  Whitefish is nestled up to Glacier National Park, so the landscape is truly breathtaking... especially when the sky is clear and sunny.  However, we learned that this particular ski hill is often (some say more than 50% of the time) covered in a thick layer of clouds, which is kind of a bummer when you're trying to ski.    Yet, even with the poor visibility, we managed to have fun on the slopes.  The boys claimed that it's simply more adventurous to ski double black diamonds with only 10 yards of visibility.  I found it to be a little more than disconcerting when I was sitting in the chair lift going up the mountain, and by the time I reached the top I could only see one chair in front of me and a white-out on both sides of me.  But I survived, and just to show the boys how brave and cool their mommy can be, I skied one black diamond (and nearly wet my pants...but heck, they are waterproof, so no one could tell) :)  

Here's some photos of the highlights:



Gorgeous view of the Whitefish/Kalispell valley.  Few clouds down below...

Lots of clouds the higher you go.  Pretty and frightening all at the same time.


Here's our boys standing in front of our awesome condo:  The Edelweiss.  
The name of our condo kept making me want to break into song like Fraulein Maria in the Sound of Music :)

  
The condo was a ski-in ski-out condo which was pretty sweet.
We were actually in the closest condo to the chair lifts!


Here's me with my brave ski bums.  Holy cow, Joseph is almost as tall as me!
He's also wearing the same size ski boots as his mother.  Crazy!


Here's Paul and the boys ready to tear up the slopes!


We found Jesus on the ski hill!  Boy, He truly is everywhere at all times!
This statue was my favorite part of the ski hill.  It was put there by the Knights of Columbus after WWII.
Apparently, some anti-religious group is trying to get Him removed from the hill, but so far they have been unsuccessful.  I found great comfort being reminded that Jesus was watching over us as we skied.


I'm a bit concerned about our 3 oldest boys truly becoming full-time ski bums when they get older.
They are passionate about skiing and crazy-good at it.
When I asked them what they thought about Whitefish, their word for it was
EPIC!!!


While Dominic and I waited for Joseph and Michael to meet us at Chair Lift #3,
we decided to make some snowballs and..


our very own snowman, complete with ski poles :)



After a day of skiing, we enjoyed soaking our sore muscles in the hot tub


When we weren't on the slopes, we had a blast in our condo playing games


Nathanael is turning into quite the card-shark! :)


Isaiah just loved exploring a new place and chewing on new things :)


And of course, the amazing food at the resort restaurants was one of the biggest highlights!  
YUM!!!  :)

I wonder where we will go next year for Spring Break?  My guess is that it will be another ski hill.  I hope all of you have a wonderful Spring Break wherever you go!



post signature

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that some of Captain and Maria Von Trapps grandchildren live in Kalispell? They have great singing voices too. If you want to borrow the CD sometime let me know.
    http://www.distinctlymontana.com/montana-people/11/22/2010/von-trapp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://helenair.com/news/state-and-regional/kalispell-s-von-trapps-keep-hills-alive-with-sounds-of/article_ba1be949-ebd7-5957-b35f-d53a5a884e0c.html

      Delete
  2. Great pictures! I particularly like the one of Nathanael, it put a smile on my face...too cute! =)

    ReplyDelete