Christmas lights and glowing candles make me happy. They also have reminded me how great it feels to be out of the darkness (i.e. my many months of postpartum depression) and back into the light. I do have to say though, that I'm learning to be thankful for even my dark days, which still happen occasionally, because it is in the darkness that I discover just how much I need God, and in the darkness that His love and light shine the brightest.
During this most recent postpartum period of darkness I felt closer to Christ than I think I ever have before. I knew He was with me. I felt His arms holding me while I cried. I found the strength through His grace to get up each morning when I didn't want to. I trusted that His love was enough even though my feelings felt otherwise. And it was. His love was abundantly enough. Just like our fresh-from-the-forest Christmas tree looks more beautiful in the night when its lights pierce the darkness, I am learning that God's love can illuminate even the dark night of my soul and turn my darkness into a beautiful light--the warm, glowing light of love and mercy.
How good it feels to have hope again and to be able to laugh and love my family without just going through the motions! Thank you again to all of you out there who have helped pray me out of the darkness. How blessed we are as Christians to have the Light of the World within us, to shine through us and illuminate the darkness around us! I pray that many more souls will find the saving light of Christ this Christmas and in the new year, perhaps through the humble witness of souls like me and souls like you--souls who have experienced both darkness and light. As the apostle Peter said to Christians centuries ago, "For you are God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of the darkness into his marvelous light." (1 Peter 2:9)
May my life and yours be a litany of praises to Him who brought us out of darkness and into His marvelous light!
Advent Blessings!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment