Monday, August 5, 2013

Going...Going...Gone!

Joseph, Michael, and Dominic were all in baseball this Spring and Summer.  With three boys playing at different fields, at different times, and in all sorts of weather conditions, it seemed like the baseball season just kept on going and going and going...  But now it's gone, and I have to admit that I'm both relieved and sad.  Despite being a long season, the boys loved every single minute of it, and I loved watching the joy on their faces and the improvement in their skills.  Each year they play I can see a dramatic jump in their skill level, and it is really getting fun to watch their games now that the pitchers can actually throw a fast ball into the strike zone and the fielders can actually throw the ball to first base and successfully make an out without dropping the ball!  :)

Joseph was on the Helena Motors team this year, and he played as pitcher, 2nd baseman, and short-stop.  Michael played as pitcher, 3rd baseman, and short-stop for the All Seasons Heating and Air team.  For both boys, pitching was definitely their favorite position, and I was so proud of how confident they were on the mound and how they consistently threw into the strike zone. Some of the other pitchers on their teams could throw the ball faster, but not as accurately as Joseph and Michael. I really was proud of them, but it also made me a nervous-wreck when they were on the mound. Do all mother's fear the possibility of seeing their children fail, or is it just me? 

At some point during the season Joseph was given a nickname by his coach---"Big Joe"---which was fun to hear his coach and teammates belt out from the dugout. Joseph liked the nickname, even though deep down he knew the nickname was a bit of a joke, since he was one of the smallest players on the team. What he was lacking in size, however, he certainly made up for in spirit and skill. The opposing teams knew that "Big Joe" was a big threat as the season progressed.  Not only was he a great player, but I was even more proud of him for his great sportsmanship and the way he enthusiastically encouraged his teammates during each game.  I see the makings of a confident and kind leader in him, both on and off the field.



Michael was also given a nickname from his team:  "Mighty Mike."  This made him beam inside and strive to be as mighty as he could, both on the mound and at the plate.  Like his older brother, Michael was also one of the smalled kids on the team, but he could jack that ball nearly to the fence, and he was a mighty smart fielder, always knowing where to throw the ball to make the best play possible.  Michael loves the game of baseball with intense passion, and I pray that he can always channel that passion in a way that will glorify God.


Dominic also had a great season, but his league still loves the after-game snacks more than the game itself! :)  His team this year was Speiker Sprinklers, and he was able to try out almost every position--even as catcher, which was his favorite.  It sure was fun to watch him play, and I was so impressed with how well he can slug that ball.  He was in the coach-pitched league, and he made contact with the ball every time he was at bat, never striking out nor needing to use the T like some of the other players.  I think he was a step above the rest because he played non-stop baseball in the backyard with his brothers. 


With all of our boys loving the sport and truly showing lots of talent, Paul and I are starting to pray about whether or not to let them try out for the traveling All-Star teams next year.  The traveling teams play almost every weekend in the summer; plus, it gets quite costly when you consider traveling costs and team fees, so it would really be a huge commitment and life-style changer if we walk down that path.  I feel very strongly about keeping our faith and our family-time as higher priorities that sports, but I also have to consider that maybe God gave my sons baseball talent for a special reason and wants us to foster their gifts...  Tough decisions lie ahead... Hopefully the Holy Spirit will guide us every step of the way in this parenting adventure!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment