Monday, July 9, 2012

St. Faustina on Suffering



I am currently reading "The Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska."  Oh, what a treasure it has been for my soul!  I feel as if God wanted me to read it at this exact time in my life.  Jesus appeared to St. Faustina numerous times and was constantly giving her messages to help her grow in holiness---consequently, to help the world grow in holiness.  Much of Jesus' words to St. Faustina focus on the gift of God's mercy and the fruitfulness of suffering.  I feel as if I am going through a period of suffering right now, very minor to what Faustina and many saints suffered, but listening to how these saints bore so much spiritual fruit through their trials truly gives me hope. 

Many people are familiar with the "Chaplet of Divine Mercy" and the famous portrait of Jesus with the rays of mercy streaming from His Sacred Heart.  Both of those were given to us by visions that St. Faustina had of our Lord.  Jesus told her, "I am sending you with My mercy to the people of the whole world.  I do not want to punish mankind, but I desire to heal it, pressing it to My merciful Heart.  You are the secretary of My Mercy."  How thankful I am that St. Faustina obeyed Jesus' words and recorded His messages to benefit my soul and countless others. Here are some excerpts that recently touched my soul:

Every morning during mediation, I prepare myself for the whole day's struggle.  Holy Communion assures me that I will win the victory; and so it is.  I fear the day when I do not receive Holy Communion. This Bread of the Strong gives me all the strength I need to carry on my mission and the courage to do whatever the Lord asks of me.  The courage and strength that are in me are not of me, but of Him who lives in me--it is the Eucharist.  (entry 91 in St. Faustina's diary)

During Holy Mass, I saw the Lord Jesus nailed upon the cross amidst great torments.  A soft moan issued from His Heart.   After some time, He said to me, "I thirst.  I thirst for the salvation of souls.  Help Me, My daughter, to save souls.  Join your sufferings to My Passion and offer them to the heavenly Father for sinners.  (entry 1032)

When I see that the burden is beyond my strength, I do no consider or analyze it or probe into it, but I run like a child to the Heart of Jesus and say only one word to Him:  "You can do all things."  And then I keep silent, because I know that Jesus Himself will intervene in the matter, and as for me, instead of tormenting myself, I use that time to love Him. (entry 1033)


These words remind me to offer up my small crosses to Jesus who taught us the profound merit of suffering.  As Christians I think we often fall into the fallible mindset that Christ did all the suffering for us, and if we believe in Him our lives should be void of much suffering.  However, the longer I walk on my faith journey the more convinced I am that Jesus suffered not only to save us, but also to teach us that the way of the cross is the way toward our crown.  St. Faustina's words also re-convict my heart to seek Jesus more often in the Eucharist so that I may be united in the closest way to His Sacred Heart.  The Eucharist will fill me with all the grace I need to persevere through my trials and help me share His love and mercy with others too!  What a gift we Catholics have in the Eucharist and in the examples of the saints!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment