Tuesday, August 16, 2011

He Once Was Blind...

...but now he SEES!!!


Michael, our only brown-eyed boy, is now handsomer than ever with his new "gun-metal grey" glasses. We didn't even have the slightest suspicion that he needed glasses until last month when we were watching our local minor league baseball team and found out that Michael couldn't read the jersey numbers of the players...yikes! So we made an appointment for an eye exam, and sure enough, Michael takes after his mother's poor eyesight. He wasn't disappointed in the least though, and he was thrilled to pick out his own frames. When we picked up the new lenses and he tried them on for the first time, he was in shock at how clearly he could see. All the way home he enthusiastically announced every distant sign that he could now read. And I just love his new look...I told him that he looks older, smarter, and holier, and that he would make a very handsome looking priest :) I didn't break the news yet that his odds of being a military jet pilot are significantly reduced...perhaps the rules will change by the time he enlists :}


And while I'm on the subject of Michael, I want to share a sweet story that happened in church this weekend. We were sitting behind a couple in their 50s who we had never seen before, and after Mass they told some mutual friends of ours that Michael was singing so beautifully that the wife began to cry during one of the hymns, and the husband stopped singing because he didn't want his own voice to drown out the "joyful noise" behind him. That was one of those moments that truly warms a mother's heart and sweetly confirms that she must be doing at least something right :)



post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment