My gift started with a simple rose, frayed around the edges to give texture and dimension (a tecnique called "French Roses" taught by quilter Heather French).
I followed with 9 more roses to represent the 10 roses we offer to Mary in a decade of the rosary (the word rosary actually comes from the word "rosario" (Latin for "rose") because each "Hail Mary" that we pray is like offering a rose to the Queen of Heaven).
Mary is our Queen and our heavenly Mother; how fitting to offer her roses just like a little child picks wildflowers to delight his or her mother! :) Let's surround Mary with roses every day!!!
As I stitched Our Blessed Mother's glowing halo and her tender hands folded in prayer, I tried to offer prayers of thanksgiving and blessing upon Mike and Margaret who, like Mary, glow with God's love.
For over 9 months I worked on this gift for them, designing every inch from Mary's rose-covered feet like she appeared to St. Bernadette, to the moon upon which she stood like the miraculous image on Juan Diego's tilma. Although Mary's true beauty far surpasses any image ever created, I prayed that Our Lady would be pleased with this humble quilt, and that Mike and Margaret's hearts would be touched as they touched mine.
What a sweet memory I will always carry, presenting them with this gift from my heart.
Margaret is such an inspiration to me...her deep faith, her love for Jesus and His mother, and her passion for defending the unborn. Margaret has faithfully prayed at Planned Parenthood every Friday for many years and has led numerous 40 Days for Life campaigns with me as her humble side-kick :) I wonder how many babies her prayers and loving witness have saved from abortion? I feel so blessed to be her friend.
Mary, my mother, I pray that you bless Mike and Margaret with graces galore for bringing me the Gift of your Son in such a beautiful way. And I pray that more and more people turn to you for help in times of trouble, for you are the loving mother to us all, guiding all souls to the only Source of Salvation, your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

It really turned out awesome, Maria! What a beautiful idea and wonderful gift!
ReplyDelete