Monday, August 15, 2011

The Assumption: not just an assumption


Today the Church celebrates the Feast of the Assumption. The dogma of Mary being taken body and soul into heaven is one commonly disputed among Catholics and Protestants today, but not one that was ever really disputed within the Catholic Church since the very beginning. The history of the Church tells us that nearly all theologians embraced this event as truth even before it was pronounced a doctrine. I think the reason it is so hard for many to accept this dogma today is that it is not clearly found in Scripture, and we have become such a "chapter and verse" kind of people. But can our God and His ways only be contained in a book? I think not. It is my opinion that theologians in the earliest Church had a more profound understanding and respect for who Mary was and what her role was in salvation history due to oral traditions and customs originating from the time of the apostles (many of whom are said to have witnessed this miraculous event). I believe Mary was and is "full of grace," spared from sin in order to be the very Mother of God who was chosen to bring our Savior into this world. So how fitting for our God to choose to raise His chosen Mother body and soul to be with Him in Heaven. God can do anything, so why would we doubt this event? After all, Mary wasn't the first or only person he raised in such a way (wasn't Elijah the great prophet taken up to heaven in a similar fashion too? My Old Testament knowledge is rusty, so perhaps there are even more examples of this).

The boys and I wanted to celebrate this feast in a special way somehow. Honestly, I forgot today was a special feast day until this morning when I happened to glance at my calendar. I always wish I was better prepared and had a fun craft planned on days like this, but that would take a level of organization and discipline that I am lacking right now. :) So I tried, instead, to come up with some simple and spontaneous ways we could honor Our Lady and hopefully make her smile :) I asked the boys to each pick out the most beautiful roses and wildflowers from our garden as a spiritual bouquet for her. And then instead of doing our traditional evening prayers, I lit some candles by our bouquet and statue of Mary and pulled out my dusty guitar to sing a couple Marian hymns (slightly off key but, hey, our heart was in it) :)

Anyway, for further thought on this special feast, here is an excerpt from the AmericanCatholic.org website that I thought was very interesting:

On November 1, 1950, Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary to be a dogma of faith: “We pronounce, declare and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma that the immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul to heavenly glory.” The pope proclaimed this dogma only after a broad consultation of bishops, theologians and laity. There were few dissenting voices. What the pope solemnly declared was already a common belief in the Catholic Church.

We find homilies on the Assumption going back to the sixth century. In following centuries the Eastern Churches held steadily to the doctrine, but some authors in the West were hesitant. However, by the 13th century there was universal agreement. The feast was celebrated under various names (Commemoration, Dormition, Passing, Assumption) from at least the fifth or sixth century.

Scripture does not give an account of Mary’s Assumption into heaven. Nevertheless, Revelation 12 speaks of a woman who is caught up in the battle between good and evil. Many see this woman as God’s people. Since Mary best embodies the people of both Old and New Testament, her Assumption can be seen as an exemplification of the woman’s victory.

Furthermore, in 1 Corinthians 15:20 Paul speaks of Christ’s resurrection as the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. Since Mary is closely associated with all the mysteries of Jesus’ life, it is not surprising that the Holy Spirit has led the Church to belief in Mary’s share in his glorification. So close was she to Jesus on earth, she must be with him body and soul in heaven.


Quote:

“In the bodily and spiritual glory which she possesses in heaven, the Mother of Jesus continues in this present world as the image and first flowering of the Church as it is to be perfected in the world to come. Likewise, Mary shines forth on earth, until the day of the Lord shall come (cf. 2 Peter 3:10), as a sign of certain hope and comfort for the pilgrim People of God” (Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, 68).




post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment