Monday, January 31, 2011

The First Taste of Mercy is Sweet

Age 7 has been a sweet coming of age experience for Michael with many important "firsts." Last week he celebrated his First Reconciliation, and in a couple of months he will receive his First Holy Communion. The anticipation of each of those events is heightened by that fact that he had to watch his older brother accomplish each one before him and then wait longingly for his turn to shine. And oh how he did shine on the night of his First Reconciliation!

It was beautiful to watch his eyes sparkle as we jumped in the car to head to the Cathedral. He was absolutely giddy with joy as he waited in the confession line and clung to his special note book in which he had carefully written his examination of conscience. It was fun for me to watch the varied expressions and behaviors of the other children waiting in line...some were silly with nervous energy, some were serious as they rehearsed their sins over and over in their head, some casually focused on reading their Act of Contrition cards to pass the time, and some had the terrified deer-in-the-headlights-look as they agonized over forgetting the formalities of what to say once they were face to face with the priest. Michael fell into the category of those children who were glowing with nervous excitement, somehow knowing despite their young age that the Sacrament they are about to receive is both serious and wonderful and will change their lives forever if they let it.

Michael did have one brief moment of concern when he asked me to remind him what words he should say to start his confession. I gently whispered, "Father, forgive me for I have sinned." He asked me if I had a pen so he could jot that down quickly in his notebook. "Sure," I said, and handed him my pen. He scribbled the line down and passed the pen back to me with a look of relief. From that moment on it was all joy and anticipation.

I was so proud of him and I will treasure the look on his face the moment he walked out of the confessional all my days...he basically skipped out with a look of such sweet joy, feeling light as a feather with the first sweet taste of God's goodness and mercy in his heart. How I wish all the world could taste the sweetness of giving their sins to the Lord in this special Sacrament and feeling His merciful love wash them white as snow every time! To remind Michael of how sweet it is to confess his sins and cleanse his soul, we celebrated afterwards with a trip to Dairy Queen. He ordered a Strawberry Cheesequake Blizzard :) Yes, God's mercy is sweet indeed!


Michael casually counting how many more kids until it's his turn. The two girls behind him have the nervous sillies, and the girl wearing black is intently rehearsing the Act of Contrition :)

Perhaps Michael is making one last examination of conscience before it's his turn, or perhaps he's just wondering when his crazy mother will stop snapping pictures :) Sheesh...mothers can be so embarrassing!

Michael taking another peek at the line, while holding on tight to his special notebook

His Irish eyes are smiling even in the confessional line! :) I wish I had that much faith and courage!!

His turn is next...

He's ready with his Act of Contrition prayer card in hand... Mom better get one last shot before the big moment...


All done...all smiles!


Michael lighting a white candle to symbolize his cleansed soul and that the light of God's love shines brighter than ever now that the darkness of sin has been removed

Look at all the shining souls who made their first confession today. A beautiful sight!



post signature

2 comments:

  1. Maria, I love how you captured Michael's special day. I didn't even think to take the camera for Madelle's. I am sure in years she will be thankful. She cried and cried while doing her examination of conscience. At the service, she cried the entire time Father spoke. Luckily she was able to get her emotions under control while waiting to go in to see Father. It was a very emotional day. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this entry was totally beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes, thanks Maria. :)

    I did have to giggle at this: "some had the terrified deer-in-the-headlights-look as they agonized over forgetting the formalities of what to say once they were face to face with the priest" << that was me at my first Reconciliation ... and I made it when I was 24!

    ReplyDelete