Monday, August 16, 2010

Rocky Mountain High with Mary

This past weekend was certainly a high for me--a holy high. First, we had a relaxing couple of days camping at a pristine mountain lake, taking in the beauty of God's creation. Then, we finished the weekend fulfilling a childhood dream of mine by taking a tour to the top of the Continental Divide to visit our Lady of the Rockies, a 90-foot metal statue overlooking the city of Butte, MT. Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of seeing Our Lady up close. I remember driving by the statue countless times on family road trips over the years. My most vivid memories are of driving through Butte at night, with the lights shining on Mary as if she were a real heavenly apparition, and feeling like she was watching over me and showering me with graces from on top of that mountain. Finally seeing Mary up close and sharing that experience with my husband and children was truly a grace-filled experience. The statue is dedicated to all mothers as a tribute to the sacrificial love that embodies their vocation, so it was extra special to take the tour on the Feast of the Assumption of Mary when we celebrate Mary's sacrificial love and her glorious entrance into heaven. Truly, it is a very inspiring story to hear how the people of Butte poured their hearts, their money, and their time into making their inspired dream come true. You can visit the website to read more of the amazing details of how Our Lady of the Rockies came to be: http://ourladyoftherockies.net/.

A peaceful sunset at Lake Delmoe, near Butte, MT.

See that tiny, white dot? That's Our Lady overlooking the Butte valley below.

And here's Our Lady from my camera's perspective 90 feet below.

Inside Our Lady's statue people have hung their rosaries and prayer intentions from the walls, the rafters or any available space they can find.

Here is Michael reading some of the prayer intentions that are lining the walls.

And here I am with Mary's outstretched arms symbolically blessing my vocation of motherhood.

I pray that Our Lady continues to watch over our family and lead us closer to her Son until we are all together in Heaven someday.
Happy Feast of the Assumption!


post signature



2 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    I had read about Our Lady of the Rockies but had never seen a picture. Wow - how beatiful!
    I was thinking about you the other night when going through my Mom's old Mother's Manual prayer book (the second ed. 1957). It has a wonderful prayer to maybe help ease some worries that you had posted about the other day. I have said this prayer both of my last deliveries and then delivered the baby shortly after. However, I am not guaranteeing anything. :)

    Prayer for a Happy Delivery
    Holy Mary, Mother of God, who parted with the blessed fruit of thy womb without the least pain, I beg of you, by that awful suffering on Calvary through which you merited to become Mother of all the faithful, to come to my aid. I ask not a painless delivery, for I deem it worth any travail if only I can give body to a soul which shall be stamped with the image of God. I ask rather for a successful delivery, and the grace to be a good and holy mother as long as I live. Amen
    O Lady of a Happy Delivery. Pray for us who have recourse to thee!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete