I recently came across these 2 great quotes from two of our great Popes. The first one, by Pope John Paul II, seemed very fitting for me to ponder this week as I was a bit depressed remembering the tragic Roe vs. Wade decision 37 years ago on January 22nd. The quote reminded me that I need to not only pray for the end to abortion, but I also need to fast to make my prayers even more effective. Jesus tells us in Scripture that prayer AND fasting are essential (i.e. Mark 9:29, Acts 14:23), and that is a message our selfish world needs to hear. I am always shocked at how hard it is to fast or to sacrifice some little pleasure...like this Friday I gave up coffee and was tempted at least a dozen times throughout the day to make just one teeny weeny cup! But I guess that is what makes fasting so powerful. Every small act of "dying to self" causes Satan to loose his hold on us so that we can selflessly serve Christ, love others, and pray more fervently. I have hope that if more Christians did more prayer accompanied by fasting, abortion will end in our lifetime.
Prayer joined to sacrifice constitutes the most powerful force in human history."
Pope John Paul II
This second quote, by Pope Benedict XVI, I found to be not only deep and true, but also extremely funny. Who said a pope can't have a sense of humor? :) I thought it would be fun to memorize the Latin translation of this quote and use it as comic relief when I'm running low on faith :) I've also heard that evil spirits despise Latin (which is why Latin is used by priests during real exorcisms), so it might be handy to have this quote memorized to tick Satan off as well. Or perhaps it would be more fun to learn the Latin translation of "Go sit on a tack!" That would really send him over the edge! :)
"I have a mustard seed, and I'm not afraid to use it!"
(Haveo granum sinapis quod uti non timeo!)
Pope Benedict XVI

No comments:
Post a Comment