by Jean Bellegambe (Flemish painter c. 1480 - c. 1535)
Today is the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception, a feast day that most Catholics sadly can't properly define. Many faith-filled (and not-so-faith-filled) folks seem to think we are celebrating the day that Jesus was miraculously conceived in Mary's womb. However, this day truly defines the day that Mary was conceived immaculately (without sin) in her mother Anne's womb. I'd be curious to see how many of my Catholic high school friends remember that important bit of theological trivia...I'm sure we covered it in Miss Heinz' religion class :)
The Church even elevates this feast day to the status of a "Holy Day of Obligation." My wise and witty husband likes to refer to these days as "Holy Days of Opportunity." :) And he is so right. Every Sunday and special feast days like this one are considered holy days of obligation, but the church is only trying to set these rules to provide us with beautiful opportunities to grow in grace and holiness. Today's Mass at the Cathedral reminded me just what a special privilege it is to hear the Gospel, to gather with other believers, to receive Christ's real presence in Holy Communion, to worship in song, and even to breathe in the holy smell of incense. I remember despising the smell of incense as a child (maybe because it made me sneeze), but now as an adult I love it (even though it's spicy aroma still tickles my nose). Incense is an Old Testament tradition, and only the very traditional Catholic churches ever seem to use it. It is used to bless the Sacred Scriptures before the priest reads the Gospel, it is used to bless the altar before the priest consecrates the bread and wine, and it is used to bless the congregation. My very limited understanding is that it symbolizes our prayers being raised (like the smoke it creates) to God in Heaven. I think I appreciate incense now because it truly seems to take me back in time, to a place more reverent and full of awe at God's majesty. Oddly enough, it also takes me forward in time, to what I imagine Heaven to smell like, with angels surrounding God's throne (and trying with all their holy might not to sneeze!) :) Thank you, God, for these holy days of opportunity, days that bring me another step closer to understanding just how awesome You are.


No comments:
Post a Comment