Hi Ho, Hi Ho,
It's off to school we go!
We had some fun, but it's just begun,
Hi ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho!
After our crazy summer of being away from home and then returning to the chaos of moving into a rental, it was kind of nice for all of us to start the routine of school to bring some stability and normalcy back to our family. Our 3 oldest boys were eager to see their friends again and begin the adventure of conquering a new grade level. For Joseph it is 8th grade, which is exciting because he is in the high school wing of the school building now, for Michael it is 7th grade, and for Dominic it is 3rd grade.
Nathanael was so excited to be in the "Big School Kid" category this year as he embarked upon his first year of Pre-Kindergarten four afternoons each week. Next year he will be at St. Andrew School with his big brothers, which is hard for me to wrap my head around.
Here is Nathanael on his first day of preschool.
This photo reminds me that he is covered by the grace of the cross--
so I know he will be fine (but I'm not sure I will be without his smile all day long!)
The years seem to be sweeping by faster each year as I watch them grow and move from grade to grade. Bittersweet indeed. But I love that they love their school, their friends, and that they are getting a Christ-centered Catholic education. Every year I beat myself up a bit about not homeschooling the boys, because that was my dream when I started having children. But so far God seems to be telling me that homeschooling is not His will for our family right now for various reasons. One of which being that there is such an exceptional Catholic School available for the boys. St. Andrew School puts faith first, which can be seen in countless ways, like praying the Morning Offering, the Angelus, and the Act of Contrition daily as a student body. Their school motto is: "Vitam Impedere Vero," which translates "Hang Your Life on Truth," and I see the teachers instilling that motto and other Catholic virtues constantly, which confirms that my kids are where they are supposed to be right now. If God calls me to homeschooling again someday, I will answer that call and do the best that I can, but for now I am so grateful for a school like St. Andrew's.
Here is Nathanael catching bugs for a few minutes before it was time to go to school :)
I take it for granted that my kids will love school, choose holy friends, grow in their faith, and excel in their studies. I forget that that is not the case for all kids at school. I was reminded of that fact this year when one of my best friends shared the struggles her kids were having in school---tears every morning and every night because of how much they disliked school. She and her husband agonized and prayed over what to do, and finally decided that homeschooling was the best option. I have two other friends whose kids were being bullied and had to switch schools. And yet another friend has a daughter who has been battling anxiety attacks and severe depression, making school a very difficult challenge. Stories like these remind me to pray more for other families who are struggling with the transition of school right now and to be grateful that our kids love school so far and continue to grow in their learning and in their faith.
May this school year be filled with exciting adventures for my kids and yours!
God bless and keep all of our children
and draw them ever nearer to Jesus' Sacred Heart
to experience the wide expanse of His love and mercy!
No comments:
Post a Comment