1) Our Advent devotional that we read as a family at night called "Bartholomew's Passage." It has been a entertaining for all of us, and it really has great reflections at the end of each chapter to refocus our hearts on the true meaning of Christmas.
2) We started a new tradition this year that I stole from my creative and holy friend Allison... We have a tiny manger for baby Jesus, and each time I catch the boys doing a kind deed they get to put a piece of "hay" in the manger to make it soft and warm for baby Jesus. However, if I catch the boys being selfish, unkind, or disobedient, they have to remove a piece of hay from the manger. This has really been a concrete way to show the boys that their actions truly do effect Jesus. Unfortunately, there have been a few days that many pieces of hay had to be removed...so I'm hoping and praying there will be some hay still left on Christmas morning when we place baby Jesus in the manger! :}
3) Last, but not least, Paul's mom came for a pre-Christmas trip that made Advent extra special. Paul and I were even able to steal away for 2 nights while she babysat the kids! We went to Whitefish, MT and stayed at a fancy resort that was so relaxing that I truly felt guilty being there! We were able to eat at two fancy restaurants, soak in the hot tub at night, and I even was able to pamper myself at the spa by getting a facial (which actually back-fired on me and made my face break out for the next week! Was that God's way of telling that I was being vain?) But the best part was just having some quiet time to re-connect with my husband again. With 5 kids in the house, we rarely have time to focus on "us," so this trip was truly one of the best Christmas presents ever! Thank you so much, Grandma Jean!!!
Here are some highlights of our Advent season:
Paul with his mom, Jean.
We are so thankful she came to see the kids and give us a mini-vacation!
Here's my handsome husband, as we went on a walk in the woods, his favorite place to be!
It was sweet falling in love with him all over again...
I hope he felt the same way about me! :)
Me with a huckleberry margarita and one of the fanciest meals I've ever had!
How nice it was to not have to cook or cut up anyone's food (except my own)!
Michael got one of his greatest Christmas gifts ever...
he got his braces taken off a few days before Christmas!!!
To be honest, even though Christmas is supposed to be "the most wonderful time of the year,"
I really battle feelings of melancholy and loneliness. We have no family nearby and I get homesick.
I have to search hard to find the beauty around me and constantly remind myself to be grateful for the many gifts I have been blessed with...
Thankfully, I don't have to search too hard to find reasons to smile! :o)
These silly kids fill me with joy and gratitude daily!
Leading their little souls to Jesus is the greatest privilege on earth!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
MAY GOD FILL YOUR HEARTS WITH MANY REASONS
TO REJOICE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON!
It was refreshing to know that I wasn't the only one who had to remove a lot of "hay" from the manger this Advent Season. =)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you and your hubby were able to spend some quality time together. I'm looking very forward to my mom's visit in February (just in time for St Valentine's) hoping my husband and I will be able to sneak out a few nights and have some much needed quiet time too. =)
Very pretty picture of you, you know that margarita is looking pretty good too. ;-)
Yay, Michael!! His smile looks great! Isaiah is so adorable!
Wishing you and yours a very blessed and holy Christmas and happy and healthy New Year!
Hugs from FL,
Sonia