Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Worst Lent Ever?


If I dared to be honest about my Lenten journey this year, I would have to say it was perhaps my worst Lent ever.  All the lofty goals and sacrifices I planned to accomplish failed almost entirely.  The busy-ness of our boys' schedules, trying to sell our home, looking for a new home, and just getting the daily chores done caused me to lose focus on prayer and penance and praise.  I have spent the last 37 days crying a lot, walking in darkness, and failing to see the light.  I am ashamed of myself for being such a wimp.  I wish I could start Lent all over again...  However, I find great consolation in the fact that Lent is about mercy, about Jesus' love for little souls who know that they are BIG sinners.  That's me!  Therefore, I have much to be thankful for this Lent.  I have a God who loves me even when I biff it big time---especially when I biff it---because that is the very reason He sent His Son.  This Lent I was reminded that I am a selfish, cowardly sinner very much in need of a Savior.  And thankfully I've got the most loving, merciful, and patient Savior Who forgives me again and again, and Who gives me His heart at every Mass in the Eucharist to fill me with all the graces I need to begin again.  Yes, this Lent I learned to trust in God's mercy.  So perhaps this wasn't the worst Lent ever, but rather, one of the best.

Encouraging words about "Mercy" found in St. Faustina's Diary, one of my greatest treasures:

“Let the greatest sinners place their trust in My mercy. They have the right before others to trust in the abyss of My mercy. My daughter, write about My mercy towards tormented souls. Souls that make an appeal to My mercy delight Me. To such souls I grant even more graces than they ask. I cannot punish even the greatest sinner if he makes an appeal to My compassion, but on the contrary, I justify him in My unfathomable and inscrutable mercy. Write: before I come as a just judge, I first open wide the door of My mercy. He who refuses to pass through the door of My mercy must pass through the door of My justice…” (Jesus spoke these words to St. Faustina; Diary entry #1146)

” There is no misery that could be a match for My mercy, neither will misery exhaust it, because as it is being granted-it increases. The soul that trusts in My mercy is most fortunate, because I  myself take care of it.” (Jesus spoke these words to St. Faustina; Diary entry #1273)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment