Friday, August 24, 2012

Planks and Pre-Registration

Last week our church had their Vacation Bible School program.  I didn't pre-register my kids for VBS because we were still debating on camping that week, and honestly, I didn't know if I wanted the commitment of running them back and forth every day.  But, after Paul and I discussed it over the weekend, he encouraged me to send the boys---if it wasn't too late to sign them up. 

So, Monday morning (VBS was starting that afternoon) I called the church office and asked if it was too late to sign my boys up.  The secretary said, "No, just come a little early so you can fill out the paperwork."  I was relieved and arrived over a half an hour early to register the boys.  The teenager running the sign-in table greeted me coldly:  "Oh, you're not pre-registered?  Sorry, your kids can't come."  I was a bit stunned.   I kindly explained that I was told this morning that my kids could come.  The flustered teenager found her mother who was the VBS coordinator.  Her mother explained (also a bit coldly) that since I failed to pre-register, the boys could not start today, but they could come back and start tomorrow.  "OK," I replied, as cheery as I could muster and tried to explain the situation to the boys while I was filling out the paperwork.  Dominic was especially troubled.  "But why can't we start today, mom?"  "Well, son, mommy made a mistake and didn't sign you up for VBS last week."  Although I explained things calmly to the boys, inside I was ticked.  I guess I thought the purpose of VBS is to share the gospel, to share God's love with children???  I didn't realize we needed to pre-register to receive the gospel...  I thought the gospel clearly said Jesus' love was free at anytime for anyone?   All day long I stewed over this.  I was even tempted not to send my boys at all, until I humbly realized how I was focusing on the speck in the other person's eye and refusing to see the plank in my own.  First of all, yes, I did fail to follow directions...  I failed to pre-register.  Pre-registration makes it easier for the coordinator to make name tags, organize crafts, snacks, and games, etc.  Secondly, yes, I was treated a bit un-Jesus-like, but I am still called to respond like Jesus.  Which I didn't.  I was judgmental and unforgiving and sarcastic.  I was also reminded how often I make the same mistake that the VBS folks made. How often to I expect people to "pre-register" in my life? If a friend asks me last-minute to babysit so that she can go to an appointment, do I graciously say yes even though it's inconvenient, or do I say no because she didn't give forewarning? Do I invite people over for supper to share a meal and the love of Christ, or do I make excuses and rarely have friends over for supper because my house isn't pristine, my cooking is marginal, and my kids might act imperfect? Do I expect my husband to call even if he's going to be two minutes late from work, or do I lovingly kiss him at the door no matter how late he is or if he failed to call? The list could go on and on... What a good reminder to me to always put on the love of Christ every morning so that I am ready in any circumstance to be His light to all I meet, pre-registered or not! :)

So, long story short...  I did send my kids the following day.  And they loved it.  And they did learn about the Gospel and Jesus' love.  But I think mommy learned the most of all.  ;}


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment