Motherhood roots out selfishness like nothing else can. I am forced to put my will aside numerous times every hour....I can't just go hang out with friends, or take a few hours to read quietly, or have a romantic date with my spouse, or catch up on my photo albums whenever I want....the call to motherhood is a constant and more urgent calling than any of my selfish wants. Diapers need to be changed, kids need to be carted to school, scrapes need to be kissed, dinner needs to be made, laundry is always waiting to be washed. So I choose to die to self and live for others instead. Sometimes it is painful. Sometimes I complain and have a pity party. Sometimes I even cry and mourn the death of my identity. Until I remind myself of my true identity: I am a wife, a mother, a servant of Christ. I am no longer just Maria. No longer do I have the luxury of being selfish. I have the privilege of being self-less; I am the daughter of a King who has promised me an eternal prize greater than all of my selfish wants put together.
So this Mother's Day, may all of you beautiful mothers out there embrace your identity, your vocation of motherhood, with new enthusiasm...embrace the beauty of dying to self so that you may truly live for Christ and bring Him to others, especially your children and spouse! Remember that your daily acts of dying to self are indeed beautiful and fruitful. Happy Mother's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment