Thursday, March 29, 2012

Letter to the Editor

Lately, my husband and I have been praying and stewing a lot about the recent Health and Human Services mandate, which will require all businesses to offer insurance that would freely cover unethical things like contraception, sterilization, and even abortion in the form of the morning after pill and oral contraceptives that can cause abortions if conception takes place. Obviously, we are strongly opposed to this mandate, but we are struggling with what to do about it. The government seems so big, and we seem so small. Another Goliath versus David scenario, perhaps? So finally, I felt moved by the Holy Spirit to at least make my Catholic voice heard through letters to my local politicians and through an editorial, which got published last week. The name of our local newspaper is called the Independent Record, and what sparked the editorial was a question that that IR posted the previous week, asking the community what they thought about the Blunt Amendment, which would have overturned the HHS mandate. Below is my editorial, followed by some unexpected feedback I received from a person I admire very much indeed...


Last week’s "Independent Record" Question of the Week asked the community to share their views on how they felt about the Blunt Amendment being rejected in the Senate. The Blunt Amendment was put forth by Roy Blunt, a pro-life Republican senator from Missouri, and it would have overridden the Obama Administration's HHS contraception coverage mandate and allowed any employer to refuse to cover any kind of health care service by citing "moral reasons." The Amendment was rejected by a 51 to 48 vote in the Senate.

As a Catholic Christian, I was saddened that the Blunt Amendment was rejected. I strongly believe it is completely unethical and unconstitutional for a government to mandate that businesses and individuals violate their consciences. The HHS mandate would provide insurance coverage for not only birth control, but also the morning after pill and sterilization---none of those items are considered necessary "health care" in my mind. Also, many forms of birth control are abortifacients that take the lives of unborn babies. How appalling that our government would force businesses and insurance companies to provide something so evil for free! As Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on the Senate floor before the Blunt Amendment vote. "This is just the beginning. If the government is allowed to tell people to buy health care, it won't stop there. I wonder what's next? This isn't about one particular religion -- it's about the right of any American to live out their faith without the government picking and choosing which doctrines they're allowed to follow."

Even though the Blunt Amendment failed, I continue to have hope in our nation’s leaders to correct the wrongs that the current administration has inflicted upon our country. I have even greater hope and trust in God’s patience and mercy. Therefore, I believe with much prayer and the voices of constitutionally-minded Christians who speak out, the HHS mandate will eventually be overturned. I am so proud of all the religious and political leaders who are boldly speaking up to protect our religious and constitutional freedoms. As Alexander Hamilton, one of our nation’s Founding Fathers, once said, “Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.”




Not very often does a person receive much feedback from an editorial. You wonder to yourself whether or not anyone even read it, let alone was moved by it. You wonder if it was worth your time, energy, prayers, editing and re-editing. But something inside you tells you to write it anyway out of obedience—obedience to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. So I wrote it. This time, however, I actually received some special feedback. I received a personal letter from my bishop. A letter of thanks. I was shocked, encouraged, and filled with profound thankfulness at having such a loving shepherd to lead the flock of this diocese. Here were his exact words:

Dear Maria,

I wish to thank you for the courageous letter you wrote to the Independent Record, published this morning, March 22nd, on the opening page. Your remarks were thoughtful, timely, and a strong public testimony to the mind and mission of the Catholic Church. I am both grateful and proud to know that you are a member of our Cathedral Parish. May the blessing of this Holy season be yours in abundance.

With warm personal regards, I am sincerely yours in Christ,

Most Reverend George Leo Thomas
Bishop of Helena


I encourage all of you readers to find your voice about this issue too. Please write to your local newspaper and ask your politicians to stand up for religious freedom and the Constitutional rights. You may not receive a personal thank you note from your bishop, but I have a feeling God will send a grace-filled thank you hug to your heart.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment