Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Few Gems

Today I stumbled across a few quotes that I felt were gems worth sharing:

This one I thought was perfect for us mothers who find it hard to set aside large chunks of time for prayer because it seems like our little ones are constantly in need of us... So instead we have to find ways to make our work a prayer:

"Whomever labors as he prays lifts his heart to God with his hands."
~St. Benedict

This one just made me smile because I feel like I'm constantly trying to trade my cross in for a smaller, lighter weight one:

"Do not pray for lighter burdens; pray for a stronger back."
~St. Teresa of Avila

And this one by JPII was such a beautiful description of what makes the rosary such a powerful and personal prayer:

"The rosary is my favorite prayer. A marvelous prayer! Marvelous in its simplicity and its depth... Against the background of the words "Hail Mary" the principal events of the life of Jesus Christ pass before the eyes of the soul... At the same time our heart can embrace in the decades of the rosary all the events that make up the lives of individuals, families, nations, the Church, and all mankind, our personal concerns and those of our neighbor, especially those who are closest to us, who are dearest to us. Thus, the simple prayer of the rosary marks the rhythm of human life."
~Blessed Pope John Paul II (1978)

And lastly, in honor of holy St. Patrick, here is a small exerpt of his powerful (and lengthy) prayer that Catholics call St. Patrick's Breastplate:

"I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the threeness,
Through confession of the oneness
Of the Creator of Creation.
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me:
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me.
God's host to save me."
~St. Patrick

May we carry the promises captured in these gems in our minds this week to give us encouragement and strength to carry our crosses and bring Christ to those we meet!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment