Monday, February 20, 2012

Big Smiles at Big Sky


Prior to Paul's snowboarding accident, we had already planned a trip to the Big Sky Resort to go skiing with some dear friends from South Dakota. After he broke his wrist we debated whether or not to cancel the trip, but we finally decided to go and not let his accident spoil our fun. I am SO GLAD we went! Paul was the best one-handed babysitter in the world, while the older boys and I skied on some of the best slopes in the world! It gently snowed the entire time we were there, which means: FRESH POWDER! Although all the fluffy snow was a bit intimidating to novice skiers like Jody and myself, it was still mounds of fun. But in total honesty, the best part for Jody and me was riding the lifts so that we could chat! :) Jody and I both love to talk...especially about theology, but also lighter issues too. I wish everyone in the world could meet Jody. Her journey towards Jesus is so inspiring, her red-headed feisty-ness is so engaging, and her candid wittiness is so hilarious you'll laugh until you cry. As fellow red-heads and wanna-be theologians, we were destined to be kindred spirits and I love every minute I get to spend with her, which unfortunately is far fewer than I wish. But alas, I'll be happy with what I get! :)

While at the Big Sky area we were able to pack in a lot of activities to make the vacation so memorable. On our way there, we stopped by the Museum of the Rockies to let the kids play and learn about all the prehistoric treasures in our state, one being the notorious T-Rex named "Big Mike" who stands guard at the entrance. Nathanael and Dominic loved the "Lewis and Clark Playroom," where they could pretend to fish, or set off geysers, or go make-believe camping. Joseph and Michael were old enough to read all the historical facts about the fossils and appreciate the less hands-on exhibits at the museum. It was very nice to have the opportunity to stretch our legs out before driving the rest of the way up the mountain to Big Sky.

At Big Sky, we were very blessed to stay at a condo belonging to some of our friends from church. It was gorgeous, and thankfully it was spacious enough to keep Nathanael and Dominic entertained while the older two boys and I went skiing at Big Sky with my friend Jody's family the next day. As I mentioned above, we had a blast at the ski hill. Compared to our tiny ski hill that we have near our town, Big Sky is really impressive. The lifts are amazing, with fancy bars that come down over your head to act as seat belts, and then on your lap is a beautiful fiberglass map of the ski hill so that you can pick which runs your are going to take while you sit on the lift---so cool! The only downer for the boys was that they were stuck with Jody and I, who are total chickens and only like staying on the well-groomed green runs. The boys would have been more than capable of going on the the black diamond runs due to their experience in the All-Mountain Ski Club this winter, but I was too protective to let them out of my sight until later in the day when they could go with Jody's oldest son. All in all, the day was a once in a lifetime experience that I will always treasure.

The following day, Jody's family was occupied with another guest who came to visit them at Big Sky, so the 3 older boys and I went to the other side of the mountain to try out the ski hill called Moonlight Basin. It, too, was way fancier and bigger than our local ski hill, but not quite as fancy (or expensive) as Big Sky. I think if we make it a tradition to go back to the Big Sky area every winter for skiing, we will choose Moonlight Basin because of the cheaper cost and the more rustic atmosphere compared to the more resorty feel of Big Sky. Dominic came skiing with us on this day, and I was so proud of myself for being confident enough on my skis to try teaching Dominic how to ski. Normally, I would make Paul do all the teaching because he is a way more experienced skier, but I didn't have a choice this time. Dominic did splendid! In less than a half an hour, he graduated from the bunny hill and started going on the green runs with me and the older boys. The highlight for him was going on the "Six Shooter" lift which can hold six skiers. He felt very brave and grown-up that day :) Joseph also displayed extreme bravery that day as he got totally plowed over by a 250 lb man on the slopes. We nicknamed the man, "Mr. Bumblebee," because he was wearing yellow and black and gave Joseph quite a sting. I truly thought I'd have to take him to the emergency room when I saw both pairs of skis and both sets of poles go flying. Thankfully, Joseph's helmet and his fast guardian angel protected him, and he bravely skied the rest of the day with no complaint except a slight headache.

The little vacation to Big Sky was truly a big blessing! I hope we can go again next year so that Paul can enjoy the slopes with us! Maybe he'll choose a pair of skies instead of the snowboard...but I doubt it. :}


Michael, Joseph, and Dominic standing in front of "Big Mike," a juvenile T-Rex





Dominic catching some trout at the Museum of the Rockies





Our boys posing near a momma triceratops and her sleeping baby





Nathanael's favorite part of the trip was having mac and cheese for nearly every meal!





Fresh powder...what a beautiful sight!





My beautiful friend Jody and I ready to hit the slopes and spend time catching up on each other's busy lives





Michael, Mr. Speedy on the slopes!





Joseph, Mr. Cool and Confident on the slopes!





It was so fun to chat and bond with Joseph and Michael on the ski lift. I love how skiing is a family sport!



Me and my big smile at Big Sky! :) I hope I get to ski a few more times this year before the snow melts!!!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment