Paul: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
Maria: St. John Neumann and Sts. Cosmos and Damien
Joseph: St. Isaac Jogues
Michael: Blessed Jordan
Dominic: St. Dominic
Nathanael: St. Michael
You may have noticed that I have three saints who chose me and this is why: First, I drew St. Neumann out of a hat when we chose names as a family. Then, I also asked my friend Jamie (a FOCUS missionary who first shared this neat tradition with me) to draw a saint for me as well (because she offers to do that for people every year), and she drew saints Cosmos and Damien (these two saints share the same feast day and martyrdom, so they are always named together). Hense...I have 3 saints this year... apparently the good Lord knew I needed all the spiritual assistance I could get! No kidding!
On a more serious note, I have to admit that this first week of the New Year has been very pensive for me. I have been feeling anxious and somewhat depressed as I look ahead to another year, worrying already about to-do lists that never get done, unknown variables beyond my control, and failure to fulfill my vocation as wife and mother perfectly---or even above average! My New Year's resolution was to recommit myself to praying in the mornings, which is helping to alleviate my fears as I strain to listen to God’s gentle voice over my noisy, anxious thoughts. And during those moments of quiet this week, the word “acceptance” kept floating to the surface of my soul. On Ann Voskamp's blog, she speaks of adopting a God-inspired theme or word to embrace every year, something God is calling her to strive for and to keep on the forefront of her mind and soul throughout the year. I feel as if God desires “acceptance” to be my theme, and I picture myself embracing it like Christ literally embraced his cross; he had to cling to it to keep his balance, sometimes falling under its weight but trusting that the labor would produce peace and a glorious crown in the end.
Here is what has been coming into my mind and heart as I’ve meditated on the word “ACCEPTANCE”:
Acceptance of this fairytale life I’ve been given, a fairytale I often try to rewrite, basically throwing the script back in the Author’s face.
Acceptance that my prince charming won’t always be charming.
Acceptance that our young little squires are still in training.
Acceptance that my castle need not always be clean, but hopefully warm and welcoming.
Acceptance that there will be dragons to slay, not just once, but over and over again, and sometimes I'll get charred.
Acceptance that I don’t deserve to be treated like a princess, I simply need to accept the love of the King which is more than enough.
Acceptance that happily ever after is not based on happy circumstances, but rather a choice to be thankful in every chapter of the story (even the ones that are too long, too sad, or contain too many typos).
Acceptance that I might not know what the next chapter will bring, but I can still rest in the Truth that this story will have a happy ending because I believe in the Author’s goodness and saving grace.
I pray that each of you may grow closer to Christ, the Author and Perfecter of our faith in the New Year, because that’s all that really matters. Perhaps this will be my last year of life on earth, perhaps yours? Some are even predicting that this year will be the end of the world due to the Mayan calendar ending. Although I believe the Mayan calander end-time theory is nonsense, it does remind me to check the status of my soul. Am I ready? I believe I am, but I must keep running the race, like St. Paul said, lest I become disqualified (1 Cor. 9:24-27). I am so thankful to those who are running this race with me, constantly giving me the encouragement I need to train my spirit and not lose hope. God bless each of you and have a happy, holy New Year!
Oh, and if any of you would like me to draw a saint for you, I’d be happy to do so…just post a comment or email me at: pmhurlbert@gmail.com.
Your word is rather close to mine (surrender). We should get together for coffee and chat sometime!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful, heartfelt post. We all have those doubts and the challenges of our vocation can be overwhelming.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful for my weekly holy hour, which is my chance to recharge and rethink the past week's decisions. Inevitably I end up crying over all my mistakes, which is silly & prideful but good, I suppose, because they are a sign of my love for Our Lord, Who's so good and deserving of ALL my love.
I'm going on & on, aren't I? :)
I guess I just wanted to offer you some encouragement and let you know that I understand. Oh! And may I share with you this thought from St. Josemaria Escriva? (LOVE him.) On my way out from my holy hour this morning, I opened up The Way, The Furrow, and The Forge at random, praying, "This will be my advice from you for the week, dear Father Escriva." I opened the book and read, "He who gives you faith will give you the means."
Beautiful, no? Have a blessed week!