Monday, April 11, 2011

Favorite Things

The other day Dominic found my little digital camera and had a ball taking pictures of his favorite things. I know I probably should not have let him play with such an expensive "toy," but the delight on his face while he was snapping photos of Orcy the Orca and Sparkles the Shark was just priceless. He even snapped a few candid shots of Nathanael and I, which turned out a bit blurry, but I will still treasure them always. Watching the joy on Dominic's face as he took photos of his favorite things reminded me how I need to be thankful for the ordinary moments of my day and to rejoice in the "favorite things" that are right in front of me that I often fail to see. Right now some of my favorite things are:

  • nursing my Nathanael as he unlatches to give me a big toothless smile

  • seeing my boys play baseball together in the backyard...brothers and the best of friends

  • being comforted by my husband's calming spirit and his warmth next to me at night

  • hearing Dominic say "Mommy" 10,000 times per day with his sweet high-pitched voice

  • sipping hot coffee with lots of cream and sugar to help me get through my sleep-deprived day

  • finding a quiet moment to read a good book or an encouraging blog to recharge my tired soul

  • talking to kindred spirit friends

  • soaking in a hot bubble bath

Those are a few of my favorite things this week. Just writing them down brightened my mood just now (which needed brightening as I'm feeling kinda lousy with a mastitis infection today). I encourage you, my kind readers, to ponder what are your "favorite things" today...look for them, write them down, and let them lift you up.



"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things." Philippians 4:8



Dominic's favorite things right now: Spakles, Orc, and Orcy :)



Nathanael's favorite things both start with "M": milk and mommy




Dominic holding some of his favorite things. His sweet smile is one of my favorite things :)




Two of my favorite things: nursing and sipping sweet tea



I'd love to hear what some of your favorite things are this week :)


post signature

3 comments:

  1. 1) Definitely with you on the sweet iced tea:) 2) Also, our Maggie singing so loudly. She will be 3 in August, so she is either singing "the Mass" or "Mimi-Joe" (her aunt and uncle) over and over again. 3) doing the Stations of the Cross with our 2-5 year old group. Precious! 4) feeling baby flutters at 16 weeks. Thank you, Lord!

    Prayers for your sleep-deprived self. You look lovely despite the lack of sleep:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking to you is one of my favorite things everyday! Thanks for the hours of prayers and encouragement, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't resist. I love listing a few of my favorite things. 1) Chatting with my teenage sons at all hours of the night. 2) Scrapbooking with my daughter. 3) 4th Day Group 4) Watching my son begin to plot out the beginnings of his adult life. 5) Spending quiet time with my hubby. 6) Gardening while listening to the birds sing. Okay, my list could go on forever. I enjoyed seeing you at the birthday party.

    ReplyDelete