Friday, November 26, 2010

Lame but Lovely Nonetheless

My parents called to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving while we were eating our meal that was completely prepared by our local grocery store. My dad, sincerely not meaning to make fun of us, said: "Oh yes, we bought one of those prepared meals for a needy family in town."

Nice.

I never thought of putting myself in the "needy" category, but this year I guess that sort of applies, and you know what, I'm OK with that. It's true that I'm needy of sleep with a newborn in the house. I'm also needy of the desire to cook--cooking is just not one of my gifts--and so I jumped at the opportunity of a store-prepared, stress-free Thanksgiving meal. I was thrilled not to have to cook, not to have to entertain, and simply to enjoy a lovely meal with my husband and boys. Perhaps next year I will step back up to the plate of my domestic duty of making a home-cooked Thanksgiving meal (or better yet, maybe we'll be invited to someone else's house for a home-cooked meal and I'll just bring a side dish or two), but this year I am content with our lame but lovely attempt at celebrating Thanksgiving. :)


Thank you, Lord, for the many blessings you have given our family. Cultivate in me a heart of gratitude all year long, in all circumstances, both good and bad, for all that comes from Your hand is a gift to help me grow in holiness. Amen.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I feel terrible for not inviting you guys over here.....
    :) I will talk to you soon.. crazy over here with school.
    love you guys!

    ReplyDelete