Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mother of Boys


I really do love my boys, but I have to admit there are a few things I never imagined witnessing or participating in as a mother of boys. One of those things is witnessing my sons finding pure delight in frying ants with a magnifying glass. They have spent hours enjoying this cruel little past-time since their uncle Dann taught them a few weeks ago (Thanks, Dann). The animal-lover side of me tells me that this is just...plain...wrong...and I should stop this barbaric activity at once, but the mother-of-boys side of me tells me that this is just a part of becoming a man and learning to explore nature and science. As you can see in the photo, I apparently told the animal-lover side of me to pack sand. Quite honestly, I have to admit that I've been grateful for the amount of time ant frying keeps my boys occupied...but still, I never imagined it happening with my boys---just other ungentlemanly boys---not my own sweet sons...alas! :}

The other event this week that has been shaking my head is my boys' obsession with guns and hunting and how I somehow got coerced into pretending to be a buck (yes, as in, male deer) while my sons had target practice with their Nerf guns while I run across the room, pregnant belly and all, with my hands on my head as antlers. Sorry, I was too busy evading bullets to get a pictures of this event; plus, it just would not have been pretty. Nope. Not at all. Never in my wildest dreams could I have pictured myself doing that 10 years ago, and yet, sure enough, that's what happens when you're a mother of boys. I would sure love to borrow some little girls someday to have a nice, quiet tea party though. That's what I envisioned myself doing as a mother...tea parties and dress up and braiding hair. Any mothers of girls out there willing to swap kids for the day? I promise I'll make my boys leave their Nerf guns at home :)

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Love that picture of Michael. You should frame that one. You make a great mother of boys, but you can borrow a couple of my girls anytime. :) And since you're obviously so good at it, I'll throw my boys in for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have gotten any pictures of your adventure as a buck, but your re-creation of it at Rosary Group was pretty stellar! :D

    ReplyDelete