Last week was my son Joseph’s birthday, which should be an
exciting occasion, right? Yes, it should
be, and it was, but it also turned into a stressful occasion for his mother who
is a perfectionist (which is just a nicer way of saying that I’m vain and worry
way too much about what other people think of me). So I spent the week over-analyzing the details
of his big day and over-cleaning my house (oh, ya, and making my kids clean the house too). How fitting that the Mass
reading that Sunday contained the miraculous story of the centurion with the
sick servant who was so humble and filled with so much trust that He told
Jesus, “I am not worthy for you to enter under my roof, but only say the word
and my servant will be healed.” Then it
hit me: I have been worrying all week
about making my house “worthy” of having guests, but what I really should be
focusing on is not a clean house, but a clean and humble soul. What does it matter if my house is worthy for
Jesus to come inside if my soul is not worthy for Him to find rest there? Jesus isn’t concerned with fingerprints on the window (in fact, those toddler prints would
probably delight Him); Jesus is only
concerned with what is going on under the roof of our soul---is our soul
peaceful or anxious, humble or prideful? Ouch.
How perfect that as Catholics we get to say those powerful words of the centurion at every Mass right before we receive Jesus into our bodies! “Jesus, I am not worthy for you to enter under my roof…(for I am full of pride and anxiety, and vanity...or name whatever sin that plagues you at the time)…but only say the words (of mercy) and I will be healed.” Jesus wants to heal us, and we get to literally touch Him in the Eucharist and be healed at every Mass--but first we must be humble enough to admit our sins and confident enough to ask Him for healing. So how about you? Is there an area under the roof of your soul that needs some cleaning or healing? Ask the Holy Spirit, and I'm sure He will show you---but be prepared, it might hurt a little bit! As for me, I truly do pray that He heals my “Martha complex,” that He gives me the grace to focus on the “one thing” that really matters (loving and serving Him) and just leave those adorable fingerprints on the window for all to see and smile at!
Praise God for His infinite mercy and endless patience with us! Praise God for using Scripture to encourage and admonish us when we need it! And praise God for the gift of Jesus in the Eucharist, Who heals us and saves us from our sins!

No comments:
Post a Comment