Our house situation:
We would love some extra prayers this week as we are going to make a counter offer on a house that we really, really like. It is the first house that both my husband and I have been equally excited about. It has a great floor-plan for our family with a large recreation room in the basement, master bedroom on the main floor, and the boys' bedrooms upstairs. But the best part is how it is nestled in the mountains with 7 acres of beautiful trees and boulders and space for 5 active boys to explore the great outdoors of Montana. It even has a tiny man-made pond with a gentle waterfall that I think would make a lovely Mary grotto! :) But, we are trying to remain detached and simply trust in God's will. This particular house has been a bit of a roller-coaster for us... We discovered it about 7 weeks ago and made an offer immediately. However, we came to find out that the couple who owns the house has recently divorced, which meant that lawyers had to get involved and more complications than we ever imagined. It took them 7 weeks to make a counter-offer, and they barely budged on the price. So, we are trying one more time this week to make another offer to meet somewhere in the middle of their counter offer and our first offer. And then we place it in God's hands, trusting that He will protect us from a poor decision or bless us with the house if it would be the right house for our family to grow in holiness, peace, and joy. Please pray for us...for God's will, and for peace no matter what the outcome. "Jesus, we trust in You!"
Hunting Season Recap:
Hunting season ended a couple of weeks ago here in Montana. It embarrasses me to admit how hard hunting season is for me...every...single...year. You see, I'm a sensitive animal lover at heart, and I selfishly would rather my husband and boys had other nature-loving hobbies that the whole family could do together which don't involve killing anything. :} I half-jokingly told Paul that he duped me when we got married... He wasn't a hunter then. He was a hiker, a kayaker, a rock-climber, an outdoor enthusiast---which really turned me on. I truly thought I was marrying John Denver, but it turns out I married Daniel Boone instead! :) And I'm sure Paul thought he married a less sensitive, more practical woman like my mom who was a hunter herself and still butchers 6 or more deer a year for my dad. So now what? Now I guess Paul and I keep on trying to love each other for who we are, we learn to compromise some of our dreams and make new dreams together. And as for my part, I know I need to pray for extra graces to handle hunting season with peace in my heart and simply be grateful for the blessings that it brings. Here are just a few of the things I was thankful for this hunting season:
- my husband bonding with his boys and getting lots of exercise in the gorgeous wilderness
- 3 successful hunts this season--Paul, Joseph, and Michael each got a buck
- a freezer full of deer meat (especially the jerky sticks and breakfast sausage)
- a husband who is patient with me and a God who is full of mercy when I fail at being the hunting cheerleader that I should be
- the opportunity for Paul and I to practice unconditional love, to practice sacrificing some of our own selfish desires for the sake of the other
Celebrating Feast Days:
One of the best parts about being Catholic (aside from the Sacraments) is all the feast days of saints that we get to celebrate! It's like a constant party for us Catholics! :) Last week was a beautiful Feast Day in honor of Our Lady's Immaculate Conception--the day she was conceived without sin the in the womb of her mother, St. Anne (FYI: it's NOT when Jesus was conceived immaculately in Mary's womb, which many people mistakenly think). Many Protestants (and some Catholics) shake their heads and wonder how we could possibly believe that Mary never sinned, but if you ponder theology long enough, it sure makes sense to me that God would create Mary without sin in order for the fully-human part of Jesus (which came from Mary) to be unstained with original sin. I certainly am no theologian, but the more I read about Mary, the more in awe I am of what a beautiful and important role she plays in salvation history, more important than any of us (theologian or not) can ever comprehend this side of heaven. But even at the most simple level, which I think both Catholics and Protestants can agree on, Mary's role in history is a beautiful reminder that God always uses those who are the most humble and docile to His will to do the greatest things in the world. Therefore, as Christians we don't need to wear ourselves out trying to be perfect or to do big, amazing feats for the Kingdom, for it is the little souls with hearts full of childlike trust and love who delight the Heavenly Father the most. What a consolation for me, for I feel like a toddler who is constantly falling and failing, constantly depending on the Heavenly Father's mercy and His strong hands to carry me because I'm so weak! :)
Anyway, back to Mary... I love Mary a lot and I am so indebted to her for sharing her graces with me and untying countless knots in my life, so I wanted to find a way to celebrate this Feast in a special way, aside from going to Mass of course. But the best I could come up with was some Immaculate Conception cookies...simple sugar cookies shaped into white hearts to represent her sinless heart full of love for us. Whatever happened to the creativity I used to have when I only had one or two kids??? I guess it was passed to my children through the placenta or something! :} But I hope that the Blessed Mother was pleased with these simple cookies made with a whole lot of love and devotion and gratitude towards her for all these years of taking the tenderest care of my soul, gently pointing me (and all of her children) to the tender Heart of Jesus.
Last but not least, Isaiah has still been doing terrific with potty training! Which is not really a big deal...and yet it is (you mothers out there know what I mean). Yes, I look at my days which are filled with mundane tasks, like wiping bottoms, cooking another pot of mac and cheese, folding another load of laundry, and picking up plastic toys, but I try desperately to transform those mundane moments into prayer, praise, and thanksgiving for all the blessings God has given me: sweet children (with adorable bums) to love and be loved by, a husband who provides so well for our family that we have plenty of clothes to wash, food to eat, and toys to clean up, and the blessings could go on for infinity...and so I will just keep on counting!
No comments:
Post a Comment