![]() |
| Statue of St. Gildas the Wise |
Our family continued the fun and fruitful tradition of each choosing a patron saint for the New Year-- a saint to learn about, be inspired by, intercede through, and help us grow closer to Jesus (in theory, that is) :} Here are the saints God chose for us this year:
Paul: St. Barnabas
Maria: St. Gildas (I will have some research to do this year!)
Joseph: St. Michael
Michael: St. Matthew
Dominic: St. John Vianney
Nathanael: St. Barbara
Isaiah: St. Lea
I have also borrowed the tradition of Ann Voskaamp of praying about a "word" or God-given "theme" to be my resolution for the New Year. I think my word last year was "acceptance," which I have to admit that I failed miserably at adopting. So I will keep working on accepting God's will for me this year, but I feel like God has placed a new theme on my heart as well: PEACE. This past year I have been drowning in my own anxious and melancholy thoughts, and I know that is not God's will for my life. He constantly tries to throw me the life-preserver of His peace to cling to, and for some reason I keep trying to tread water on my own. This year I will strive to pray more, read the Bible more, visit Jesus in the tabernacle more...all of which should help me to rest in God's peace as I float upon His mercy and grace that He constantly offers. Pray that I can learn to accept it!
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you, not as the world gives do I give it to you. So let your heart not be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)
"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is fixed on You, because he trusts in You." (Isaiah 26:3)
"Let the peace of God rule in your hearts...and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)
As always, if any of you would like me to draw a saint name for you, please don't hesitate to ask. My son Michael spent days copying over 300 saint names onto pieces of paper, so there are plenty of saints to choose from! :o) You can either reply to this post and I will respond, or you can send me an email: pmhurlbert@gmail.com.

ooh, we still haven't pulled our Saints' names for 2015 yet. Thank for the reminder!!! =)
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!!
Happy New Year Maria! I would love if you'd draw a saint name for me, if you get a chance! Thanks! Hope you are doing well! Miss ya and God bless!
ReplyDeleteHi Alicia! My son Michael was thrilled to draw a name for you, and he drew St. Helena! :) Perhaps you could say a prayer for your old roommate in Helena every time you pray to St. Helena!? :) Have a very blessed 2015! I miss you!
DeleteThank you Maria and Michael! That will be fun to learn about St. Helena and have her as my patron saint this year! I will definitely say some extra prayers for ya, my friend! :)
Delete