Saturday, April 21, 2012

Easter Photos (Part I): The Hunt

This Easter, we continued our tradition of an outdoor egg hunt with some friends of ours, and every year it seems to get more fun. Two days prior to Easter a snow-storm passed through our area, so we were worried that we might have to search for our eggs under the snow! Thankfully, the snow melted in time for our egg hunt, and we had glorious weather to help us celebrate our Savior's resurrection. We have found the perfect spot for our egg hunt just a few miles out of town, by a beautiful lake, with snow-capped mountains all around. The dads head out to the sight 15 minutes before the moms and kids to hide the eggs, and then its a mad dash to collect eggs AFAP (as fast as possible) :) What a joy it is to watch the wonder on their faces. It was especially fun to see Nathanael's reaction to the egg hunt, as this was his first year to truly participate. He was content to find just a few eggs, and more than happy once he learned there were treats inside! After the hunt was complete, and the little bellies were filled with sugar, the kids enjoyed throwing rocks in the lake and watching a muskrat take his Sunday swim across the water. Us adults loved watching the delighted little ones and just relaxing in the fresh mountain air. Having my parents here to experience the Big Sky style Easter egg hunt was an extra treat!

As I watched the kids search diligently and with so much enthusiasm for the Easter eggs, I was reminded that we never really outgrow hunting for hidden treasures. The treasures may change, but the love of the hunt stays the same. I remember being in high school hunting for the perfect college to attend. And then in college hunting for the perfect career to choose. As I matured, I started to hunt for which vocation God was calling me to be: the religious life or marriage. What an unexpected treasure it was to find my husband, who, at the time, was a military pilot traveling around the world and somehow found his way into my heart. And now, I ask myself, what is it that I hunt for with enthusiasm??? Now that many of my dreams are either fulfilled or seem out of reach, I find that I often get complacent in my hunt for joy, treasures, or God's will in my life. Watching my kids search for their Easter eggs this year reminded me that I still need to pursue treasures, especially the greatest treasure--JESUS. Even though I already have given my life to Jesus, that doesn't mean I shouldn't still be seeking a deeper relationship with Him, searching for ways to love Him more, serve Him better. I know that faith should not be based on feelings, but I still am praying for the grace to grow in my love for Jesus, my enthusiasm for serving Him, my passion for prayer time with Him... Just like the parable of the hidden treasure in the gospel of Mark, I want to be willing to sell everything I have, to give all of myself joyfully in order to have the treasure of life in Heaven with Jesus (Matthew 13:44). Just like my kids searching for candy-filled eggs at Easter, I hope I never outgrow the excitement of searching for sweet treasures too! "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21)
 












May you find the treasures that you seek, and may they indeed be sweet! :)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment